Where is the best place to sell comics Messages in this topic - RSS

broom72
broom72

12/17/2016

broom72
broom72
I am moving and I have to sell my collection off to pay off my mortgage. I have good comics, and good prices.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

12/18/2016

kds_comics
kds_comics
People have asked me about buying their collections, and I have sold a large collection viqa eBay many years ago.

It is very hard to get someone to commit to a large sum of money by mail, having never seen comics.
If you are in a larger city direct garage sale to public is cheapest.

Next best is to sell at a small local show.

Next best is local auction / estate sale.

Selling online on CPG, eBay or other sites works, but takes a lot of time. You need time and patience. Fellow collectors are usually not in a hurry.

If you sell to a store, they will pay you decent money of you have comic worth $500 or more.
They pay more like $ .10 on the dollar for comics worth $10 or less.

They need to factor in how long it will take then to sort, organize and sell (time and labor and overhead).
Unless you have hot issues of vintage comics, dealers can't offer much. Same with those "nationwide" travel guys that say they will give you cash.

I will give you cash too, but I don't think you will like the number.

Dealers (and myself) make money on risk/reward.

Suggest you pursue local options first.

KDS
+2 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

12/19/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Great post! I absolutely concur with KDS.
0 link
fandangoman
fandangoman

3/22/2017

fandangoman
fandangoman
I am also curious about buying and selling comics. i recently inherited a decent collection (about 350) and am in process of imputing them into the collection here on this site. quite amazed at the value of some, though i wouldn't want to sell the inherited books for sentimental reasons. I how however found that i really enjoy learning about the comics, especially silver aged ones. So i hoped on Ebay and have purchased 2 comics. Flash Gordon #5 they say its graded at 9/9.2 and i paid with shipping $12.35 and also Action Comics #322 which i'm thinking will be a grade 3/3.5 with shipping i paid $8.99 for. I think i'm on target for both maybe a little under for the Flash Gordon #5.

My question is though surly shipping cost must mean either the buyer is over paying or the seller is losing out. How do you all navigate shipping costs when valuing your comics?
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

3/22/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
fandangoman wrote:
I am also curious about buying and selling comics. i recently inherited a decent collection (about 350) and am in process of imputing them into the collection here on this site. quite amazed at the value of some, though i wouldn't want to sell the inherited books for sentimental reasons. I how however found that i really enjoy learning about the comics, especially silver aged ones.

It's addictive learning about the history of this medium. So much more out there that's going to rock your collecting world.

Have fun!
+1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

3/22/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
The biggest problem with selling comics is that buyers want to cherry pick. As someone who has bought a few collections, I won't even make an offer if the best (most valuable) issues in a collection are missing. Letting people cherry pick the best issues can make it very difficult to sell a large number of comics.

I have a lot of comics that I want to sell, but for me it's too much of an investment of my time and too tedious for me to waste my time with in what should be my recreation or relaxation time.

Defiant1
+1 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

3/23/2017

kds_comics
kds_comics
fandangoman wrote:
I am also curious about buying and selling comics. i recently inherited a decent collection (about 350) and am in process of imputing them into the collection here on this site. quite amazed at the value of some, though i wouldn't want to sell the inherited books for sentimental reasons. I how however found that i really enjoy learning about the comics, especially silver aged ones. So i hoped on Ebay and have purchased 2 comics. Flash Gordon #5 they say its graded at 9/9.2 and i paid with shipping $12.35 and also Action Comics #322 which i'm thinking will be a grade 3/3.5 with shipping i paid $8.99 for. I think i'm on target for both maybe a little under for the Flash Gordon #5.

My question is though surly shipping cost must mean either the buyer is over paying or the seller is losing out. How do you all navigate shipping costs when valuing your comics?

Fang

Values on graded comics are quite tricky. Even here at CPG - maybe the only place on the web with a graded comic price guide - they can still be off from what actual sales are. You might check the big auctions like Comic Connect and Heritage to see actual values people are bidding on graded comics. The graded guide here is good - but prices - especially on silver age comic - can vary a lot from price listed here. Of course, one auction is only one sample price - not an average over time.

Often CPG is conservative on graded prices. I think I'd rather them be conservative than on the high end.

Just my opinion.
KDS
0 link
fandangoman
fandangoman

3/23/2017

fandangoman
fandangoman
KDS,

Thank you for the suggestions. i will definitely check those out. My rule of thumb is to take what the seller has graded it at, drop it one level and minus the shipping cost. with some look that will help me to not over pay. I have seen on Ebay issues priced 2 or 3 times the values listed on this site. especially for graded comics.

Given that i'm mostly interested in older books, in order to afford them i am looking at the lower grades. and that in its self make me uneasy because its really hard to tell how bad a shape it is in until you have it in hand. one of the comics has a spine tear. but i'm hoping it will grade at around 3 in order to keep my purchase price in line.
0 link