I'm a super newbie, bare with me, couple questions Messages in this topic - RSS

Pro-Novice
Pro-Novice

9/30/2016

Pro-Novice
Pro-Novice
Do the prices you find here on the site hold up when it comes to selling? Are people just grading them on their own?

I have about 600 comics now and I'm thinking of trying to sell some of the ones in the 7.0-8.0 grading range with some better one's mixed in. I would expect like less than a dollar for most of those and I would try to be reasonable. But what I really want to know is do people buy only NM or better or do they buy them all.

Are package deals a good way to throw in some of the lesser condition one's, I would still be honest.

Don't think I might not sell any good ones, I want to feel it out and the good ones might start coming.
0 link
Pro-Novice
Pro-Novice

9/30/2016

Pro-Novice
Pro-Novice
I'm learning more about the grading as the night goes on. I was pretty critical at first, but most of my iffy one's simply have dull edgs, some fading on white areas, or small creases coming the binding, or some unnevenness how they are folded. I have very few with any tears or anything missing, and I just hate those, but I wonder if people still want them. I am approaching this on the conservative side, but I'm finding that most of them look good, are flat, good color and framing, some perfect corners and some not so perfect and I think close to half are right there around 9.4. I have put aside my favs and they are the one's that seem almost perfect, and I just wonder, are these 9.9s? If so the price really should go up on those, but will people pay for the great condition? I think I will start selling soon, would like any feedback before I start and directions of course. Mine are all newly wrapped, is this how I should photo them?
0 link
Pro-Novice
Pro-Novice

9/30/2016

Pro-Novice
Pro-Novice
More about Me,my favorite subject. I bought all of these in bulk deals of 50 or 100 on E-Bay and Amazon. I got a great mix of comics and years and conditions. After pricing them it seems I got a good deal. Do you agree this is a good way to buy? I think I might just start subscribing to mags from now on, now that I got a good start. At least subscriptions should come mintish in theory.
0 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator

9/30/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Hi Pro,

As with any sales situation, it's all a negotiation. Our guide here is just that - a guide. Because we say a book is worth $5 doesn't mean you can't find it on ebay for $3, it doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T spend $7 on it if you want to.... it is just a representation of general trends with the book so you have a starting point for negotiating.

We do see most people doing package deals for large lots of low books, but there is something to be said for listing them individually for sale as well. If someone is missing that book to complete their set, or it's a book they specifically are looking for, that adds more value to the sale.

With regards to grading, our general rule of thumb is that if you think you have a 7.0, you should probably deduct a point or two just to be on the safe side. Grading is a very skilled art and you'd be surprised how easy it is to overlook minor details that really downgrade a book. Sometimes they aren't even your fault - could be manufacturing defects.
+3 link
expander
expander

10/13/2016

expander
expander
as far as buying in bulk lots that's the best way to go if you want lots of books and want them cheap.

I keep just about every book even if it's written on torn or missing pages/pieces those are the ones I look through with my younger kids and it keeps the nicer books in good shape while having the experience of sharing the hobby with my kids. my older two kids have their own bags and boards and have picked up on safe handling /reading practices. but in general i keep the low grade stuff in it's own box and away from my main collection just to avoid getting things mixed up.
+1 link
Carol M
Carol M

10/25/2016

Carol M
Carol M
I'm Really a newbie...This "collection" was abandoned by an ex and I've had it for a few years. I noticed that some of the books i have may be worth quite a bit if they are graded... where can I get them graded and once they are graded, where can I sell them for the best price?? I assume there will be grading fees involved, so I will want to make that back as well. Can they be sold here?? Is this a safe place to do business??
0 link
expander
expander

10/25/2016

expander
expander
Carol M wrote:
I'm Really a newbie...This "collection" was abandoned by an ex and I've had it for a few years. I noticed that some of the books i have may be worth quite a bit if they are graded... where can I get them graded and once they are graded, where can I sell them for the best price?? I assume there will be grading fees involved, so I will want to make that back as well. Can they be sold here?? Is this a safe place to do business??

Almost any issue can be submitted to a third party grading service (there are a few exceptions such as treasury size books.)
You can mail them to a "3pgs" (third party grading service) or have a local comic shop (LCS) send them on your behalf, or attend a convention where a 3pgs is offering their services. And of course as you said there are fees involved.

The key is to determine if it's worth it issue by issue. Some (very common) modern issues don't have much of a price difference between raw and graded until the conditions exceed 9.4.

It would be good to determine which issues that you have are "key" issues if any or "hot" issues that are highly sought out. then from those determine if their condition warrants a "3pgs."

As far as where to sell you have many options there as well depending on what /how much you want to get for them.

Taking them to a comic shop can be quick and easy but you won't get the most out of their value simply because the shop will need to be able to make a profit from the reselling of said books.

Ebay or any other online auction house can be time consuming and a bit of a daunting task (taking pics/scans of the books creating listings keeping up with shipping and relisting non-selling books)

They can also be sold on here as well, This is a GREAT place to sell books to collectors but depending on how rare /common the books you have are you may be seeing them sit for a while.

Also the lower value books tend to sell better in lots.( I usually throw in a semi good book in for good measure to help get bids)

Let me know if you need any further help, I'd be happy to walk you through if you have any questions. smile
edited by expander on 10/25/2016
+2 link