Help Us Feed the CPG Megacomputer Messages in this topic - RSS

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator

9/26/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
As you all know, the comics industry is in a bit of a boom right now and with all the new content, we find ourselves struggling to keep up. Many of the best databases in the world have countered this influx of new data by converting to a "wiki" system allowing users to contribute to the site, and now is the time for CPG to step into this realm as well.

Introducing the Super Computer Verification Page

For some time, we've had tools for our members to submit missing data into our system and up until now, each and every piece of data submitted was reviewed by an administrator or staffer at CPG prior to publishing the change live. We did this for a very simple reason: We want our published information to be correct.

But as the industry has exploded with more variants and new series than you can shake a stick at, this has caused an extreme backlog. Time that should be spent coding and improving the site had instead been spent approving comic covers and variants, and that's not an efficient way for us to grow. So we decided that if our members are trustworthy enough to provide us the data, they should be trustworthy enough to also approve it. And thus we are moving our site towards a wiki model where our members have a much greater say and control over the facts we publish onto our site.

The more you assist us with entering and verifying data, the more your Member Rank increases. As your Member Rank increases, your "trustworthy-ness" also increases, and you can verify data on your own without crowd-sourced assistance. Your sales listings will appear higher, your want lists will appear higher, and your overall experience with the site will be improved. As they say, the cream will rise to the top, and it is our hope that this system helps identify the most active and most interested members of our community so that when a new member joins and is looking for someone to trade comics with - they find a great candidate right away.

For new members, establishing and growing your member rank is quick and easy for the first few levels so don't worry - you won't be left behind. It's easy to establish yourself quickly as a trusted site member.

Please give our new verification page a try today and provide us with some feedback. We currently only have cover scans, issue dates, and creators available for verification, but we'll introduce more features soon. We'll also allow for you to submit pricing data to us when you see books that you believe may not be properly represented.

Feel free to leave feedback here or email us directly using this form.
+2 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator

10/5/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Hi Phil,

You are correct! Any single piece of data takes 10 points to officially "lock in". An administrator is worth 10 points so when we verify data, it automatically passes. For our members, if you have been a long time member and get to an 8 or 9, then we know you're highly likely to be correct, so we only need one or two other sets of eyes on it.

For new members (i.e. new accounts), we have no idea their experience or expertise. They could be false accounts. So we feel if 10 new members all say something is correct, it has to be.

And then in the middle is everyone else with varying levels of "trust" smile
+3 link
RocknRollguitarplayer
RocknRollguitarplayer

3/22/2017

GOOD GOD MAN Please approve some artistic guys/gals stuck in the QUE. The Enlightened Age of Comics needs your mutant enhanced finger to hit the approval button! Cool

RnR-GP
+2 link
jarhead_84
jarhead_84

6/22/2017

jarhead_84
jarhead_84
I've got a couple of gripes. First I applied to be a volunteer site administrator, I believe, back in January and I have not heard anything about my application or if it was even received.
Lastly, as RocknRollguitarplayer said three months ago creators need to be approved, when I applied to be a volunteer site administrator I said I would want to help approve creators. Specifically though as of tomorrow the Wonder Woman movie will have been out for three weeks in the US, but Wonder Woman's creators William Moulton Marston (writer) and Harry G. Peter (artist) are not available, though they are in the que to be approved. How is it that one of the three mainstays of DC comics and the most well known female super hero not have her creator's confirmed and listed. I figured that with the Wonder Woman movie bringing Wonder Woman so much into the public spotlight that her creators would be approved, I guess not, hopefully they will soon be approved as are all of the other creators that are stuck in limbo waiting for approval.

Sidris, I agree but at the same time, who has WW #1 laying around to confirm the creators are accurate? Don't get me wrong, I know it should be common knowledge for most of the big ones, Supes, Batman, WW, Spidey etc, but unless someone has actually put in the info, then nothing will be approved. Superman "creators" only did so much before another artist took over, and up until sites like this come about, there was no real "data base" for any of us. I, as an admin dude, go in and look and try to approve what I can, after looking at several data bases to try and confirm the accuracy of the info, if I am not 100% sure I pass on it. This site will get better as time goes on and as we get more collectors involved, plus, there is a LOT of new data that gets added every month, new issues, new artist, prices, dates so on and so forth, that the few who actually run the site can be easily over whelmed. (psst, I am looking to retire from the military, looking for a job!) lol But I do try to help and approve what I know I can verify, besides, this is a hobby (albeit, an expensive one, according to my wife!) so I am just glad I have some place to organize and catalog my collection!

Ben
Sidris
+2 link
RocknRollguitarplayer
RocknRollguitarplayer

6/26/2017

• There are stories that need repair or deleting
  • There are dates that are incorrect
  • There are artists etc etc that need repair
  • OBVIOUSLY many are stuck in the Que too as you know
I will start writing them down when I use this fine data base! Listen I'm not tryin to create Anarchy here but I have had limited response to my enthusiasm(and it looks like i'm not alone) When I analyze books, I cross reference to see if Info is correct and have found some idiosyncrasies. Like I said if I had the Church key to repair or send it to a moderator for quick approval I would do so. This is a great Data Base and it needs to be here with as much CORRECT info as possible for the next enthusiast to follow... Like I have said WE ALL make mistakes when imputing but it would be in the COMIC-gODS best interest to have some of us apostles on their team.
+2 link
Ohs69grad
Ohs69grad
Administrator

1/20/2018

Ohs69grad
Ohs69grad
Administrator
The published date is the date in the indicia, which is not necessarily the on-sale date. Marvel and DC's indicia dates are two months ahead of the on-sale date.
Use the cover date if there is no indicia date. If there is no cover or indicia date, use the on-sale date. Dynamite is a prime example of the latter... no indicia date
or cover date.

Jesse
+1 link
psmart
psmart

11/14/2016

psmart
psmart
When I have the time I'll blog about my current process. The first 65 boxes or so the database had pretty much everything I owned and I thought it continue to be an easy process. Now I'm working on my Indy boxes and I'm finding (or not finding) titles, issues, even publishers that are not in the database. Granted, I was COMPLETELY surprised and also gratified that I have kept some unique issues. I'm hoping the process gets easier. I know I posted something about making this process easier, but I can't find it. So I figure I would blog about it on my own site so I can at least go back and find what I've written. So far I REALLY like this site and have worked around the weird process of submitting new titles or issues. Seems like a LOT of work for you.

I know if I were in your shoes I would write a post scraper that would at the very least dump the data into the database in some sort of pending state. I HOPE that you're not hand entering or copying and pasting the forum posts. If there is a mechanism to create entries in a pending state that I could use then I'd be happy to enter it. I've got to enter it into my spreadsheet anyway for later submission.
+1 link
sargon
sargon

12/10/2016

sargon
sargon
how do we report mistakes which have already been approved? I noticed that with the prices on some Fitzgerald books (Golden Legacy 1st Print)

Sargon
+1 link