The Magnificent Seven Messages in this topic - RSS

colbalt91
colbalt91

9/22/2016

colbalt91
colbalt91
Here is the original 'Suicide Squad' movie. This is a remake of the 1960 movie by the same name starring Yul Brynner. In this movie Denzel Washington has the Yul Brynner part. And, of course, preceding both of these movies was the original Japanese movie 'The Seven Samurai' from 1954.
This western is not as good as the 1960 version. It has a sort of rushed feel in certain parts as if the producers or director was worried that the audience would be bored if it went on too long. And yet the movie is only 93 minutes long which by today's standards is somewhat short. An example of this rushed feeling is that at the start of the film the camera tries to laconically pan a rustic Western scene and yet at the same time the camera seems to be impatient and leaves the scene behind rather quickly.
The movie spends more time with a sexy actress named Haley Bennett, who plays the character of Emma Cullen, then it should. It has been a long time since I saw the original, but I do not remember a female running loose in the film. Perhaps the director fell in love.
Since the film is not as long as it should be, some of the necessary camaraderie is not exploited successfully. For one brief moment Chris Pratt's character seems like it might try to hook up with Haley Bennett's, but then that is all there is.
At times I thought some of the talking was garbled. That does not help the movie either.
And then, the main hero vs villain matchup does not feel right. The villain is shown for a brief time at the very beginning and then virtually disappears until almost the very end of the picture. Not helping the picture, is the stupid way the villain meets his end.
Despite all this, the movie does seem to fulfill the necessary action quotient and will not leave people with a bad taste in their mouth. It has been a long time since a real western movie has come along so many people will be satisfied with this version of 'The Magnificent Seven.'
edited by colbalt91 on 10/6/2016
0 link