Story Arcs Messages in this topic - RSS

Coconice
Coconice

6/3/2016

Coconice
Coconice
I've been in and out of comics for about 35 years, and I jumped back in maybe 3 years ago.

Since then, I've seen Forever Evil, Earth 2 World End, Convergence, and Rebirth.

Back in the day, there was an occasional crossover... Secret Wars and Crisis on Infinite Earths were shattering.

The problem I have is following a story arc.

I do not have a comic store within 100 miles of me. So, I've taken to ordering online in the Preview section.

Then I get a book, and the story is continued in a book I have not ordered. I cannot just stroll down to my store and snag it.

Not a huge deal, I can likely get a copy, but I would have liked to have already ordered it.

Is there some way to get an advance reading order across an entire manufacturer? I've asked several people and a company or two, and I don't feel like it should be this difficult.

What am I doing wrong?
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

6/5/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
No there isn't a way to get a reading order. Unless they actually list part numbers for cross-over series in the previews. Sometime you can look up cross-over stories on the interwebs and one of the pedia services will list parts but not often, if at all, in advance.

Previews are also vague because they want you to be just curious enough to pick up a book and not know the endgame of that issue. That way they can either hook you on the next issue or into buying tons of unnecessary extra issues, such as event cross-overs.
edited by Oxbladder on 6/5/2016
0 link
Coconice
Coconice

6/6/2016

Coconice
Coconice
Thanks for your reply.

What they do certainly makes sense from their side, but it isn't terribly helpful for someone in my situation.

I tend to buy 30+ titles per month and then go maybe 6 months without reading anything. When I finally get to it, I find that I have parts 1,3,5,6,7, & 9 of a 10 part story.

Ahh well. Now that I've started using an online store, I can go back and fill in the missing books if I need to.

Thanks again.
0 link
Laroo42
Laroo42

6/6/2016

Laroo42
Laroo42
The list of which issues/ titles contained in a certain story arc are usually on the first few pages or last few pages of the comic involved.
I too don't find it possible to buy ALL the comics relating to a story arc, but I also feel that they are written in a way that you don't NEED to buy them all.
Just my 2 cents...
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

6/6/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
What I would try is, if you know the name of the story arc, type it into a web search and see if anything comes up. I have often found what I need info-wise that way (usually from Wikipedia or some other wiki). That may not help you until the story has started but you may get lucky. You could also email your online source to see if they can help you out in some way. They may even be able to reorder or set up a special pull system for when you are collecting a event series.
0 link
Troybo
Troybo

11/24/2021

Troybo
Troybo
Came across this old thread, and thought I'd offer a small update for anyone else still having this issue:

I've found the following site to be pretty handy, although it is by no means exhaustive...

Comic Book Reading Orders | Start Reading
+1 link
Casper0312
Casper0312

11/24/2021

Casper0312
Casper0312
Troybo wrote:
Came across this old thread, and thought I'd offer a small update for anyone else still having this issue:

I've found the following site to be pretty handy, although it is by no means exhaustive...

Comic Book Reading Orders | Start Reading

Yes, I like that one for arcs. Here are some others I currently use:

1) My top site for Marvel arcs is Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Creators. ( http://www.maelmill-insi.de/UHBMCC/index.htm )

It isn't pretty, but in this case, I prefer to function as the depth of which arcs are designated is impressive. As you research books, if they are part of an arc, it is highlighted with the name of the arc. Clicking the hyperlink will bring you to that full arc, a reading order, compilations of the arc, and links to each books for details.

If you want to just start with an Arc, you can easily use the StoryArc search option from the left sidebar:

They have just about every Marvel story arc I've wanted to find. The downside is I haven't found a synopsis for their arcs.

2) wikipedia.org : you'd be surprised how many of the arcs are found here. The downside is there rarely is a concise synopsis

3) comicvine.gamespot.com : they have had a recent push to populate story arcs and descriptions but sometimes they are too concise

4) all the fandom sites : the architecture of their arcs is pretty confusing to me, but their content is improving.

I hope some of these are helpful
David
0 link