Tidewater Comicon 2016 Messages in this topic - RSS

stevegreer1
stevegreer1

5/23/2016

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Well, I went to my first ever comicon at the ripe old age of 40 this weekend. Yeah, I know... it is kinda weird that I have been reading and collecting comics for 28 years and just now went to my first comicon. It was pretty cool. I took my wife and both of my sons as well as my youngest daughter (7). I'm pretty sure out of that group, I had the most fun. My wife only went because she wanted to be supportive of me in one of my main hobbies, though I think it had more to do with her making sure I didn't spend any money. My daughter was bored out of her mind. My oldest son (18) went off on his own, probably so he could check out all the cosplay women. And my 14 year old ran into a friend of his from school and took off with him to look at the video game crap.

There were so many comics there! I was on cloud 9, but I just couldn't make my mind up on buying anything, so I actually left empty handed. However, there were some really cool cosplayers (not my thing, but it was still neat to see). There was the inevitable multiple Deadpools, but none of them were doing anything entertaining at all.

The special celebrity guests left much to be desired. Ernie Hudson, Brian O'Halloran and Carla Ghigliotti, from Clerks fame, and one of the Yellow Power Rangers. The crazy thing about it, and I'm sure this was normal, was that they were charging $30 a pop just to shake their hand and take a picture with them with your own camera or cell phone! Autographed pictures were $60! Crazy!

The highlight of the day for me, though, was meeting and talking to Joe Rubenstein, the inker for the Wolverine mini series (like you didn't already know). What a cool guy! I was wearing a Beatles shirt, so he told me a Beatles story that he had. Apparently he was/is friends with one of the past managers for the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. And the kicker was that I didn't have to pay $30 to talk to him! Ha! Take that, Ernie Hudson! I didn't get a picture with him though. I felt kinda awkward about asking him that because I didn't want to come off as a typical fanboy autograph-hound.

All-in-all, it was a great experience, and I am sure I will go to another one eventually.
0 link