What do I do with a Limited collector's set? Messages in this topic - RSS

joeybuddy96
joeybuddy96

3/20/2016

joeybuddy96
joeybuddy96
I have this thing:
Limited Collector's Set--The Return of Superman?!; all first printings!

http://www.amazon.com/Limited-Collectors-Return-Superman-Comics/dp/B000MN4TOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458453368&sr=8-1&keywords=return+of+superman+limited+collector%27s+set

It's still in the shrink wrap.

I don't know what to do with it. I'd like to take out all the issues and put them into my general collection alphabetically. I don't collect cards and I do my best to get rid of them as soon as they come into my possession. I could try listing them on eBay, but based on my previous selling record, I might just go to my local comic book store and say, "please, for the love of Stan Lee, take these stupid cards from me."
The only thing keeping me from tearing it open is that it might lose some value from the original shrink wrap (including the fancy sticker and insert) being removed.
0 link
CapnDoug
CapnDoug
Administrator

3/20/2016

CapnDoug
CapnDoug
Administrator
I'm not sure that the sets have any significant value over and above the value of the books that they contain. I know that CPG doesn't list them as a single entity, and the one that I own is only marginally more valuable as a set according to Overstreet. If you want to open it, just make sure that you retain the bag and any extras as some people will consider it damaged and incomplete without them.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

3/21/2016

kds_comics
kds_comics
They are asking $6 for the set of five comics with cards on Amazon. Reailty Check - this is $1 per comic. It is likely a decent sized local comic shop and they would have all of these "Return of Superman" comics for $1 each. They probably printed 200,00 to 300,000 copies of each issue - not exatly rare. I'd check quantity of issues published on the web - but really can't get interested enough. He died, he's back. It was a decent story by Ordway and others at the time - but that time was 23 years ago. Long enough ago to be old, not long enough to be collectaible.
If you want to keep as a set, you could pick up the individual issues easily elsewhere to read the story. Your choice.
I picked up Adv of Superman #500 myself for a friend to read who was interested in the story - Will sell for $1 plus shipping. PM me here.
edited by kds_comics on 3/21/2016
edited by kds_comics on 3/21/2016
0 link