Format Preference? Messages in this topic - RSS

shoggoth80
shoggoth80

2/25/2016

shoggoth80
shoggoth80
I don't know if this was ever discussed on the old forums, because I wasn't a member at that point.

I can preface this with: I used to work in a library. Therefore I have a fondness for hard copy printed materials. I generally like my books analog. Lol.

However, there are some upsides that I see to the digital medium. They don't require box or shelf space. Organization is pretty quick and painless. I have been told that with the right tablet reading digital comics is easy and enjoyable. What gets me here is the idea of putting together a tablet with a fair amount of material on it for travel. When I last road tripped, and brought books... It was my whole stack of Hellblazer graphic novels. I wasn't the driver, and Kansas was boring. I read through the whole stack. However, an e-reader of some kind would have been a much smaller thing to pack along. This alone has merit.

Fast forward a bit, and I have re-indulged buying issues/graphic novels after a few years of mostly not. The collection grows, shelf space dwindles, and I still love the physical format. There is something gratifying about viewing your collection on the shelf, in hand etc. And plopping down in a chair with a book, or comic in hand is still a relaxing thing.

That said, I have several gigs of digital format books. Some of them are titles I own in hard copy, several are not, and some I would like to purchase both of, because I like the story enough to warrant that. I mostly read them at my computer, because my PC is my entertainment hub. So, my collection is probably a good 50-50 split between what I have read hard copy, and what I have read digitally. I don't want to fully embrace digital copy as the sole medium, as I believe it would be a sad day to see the elimination of printed material. I also do not want to embrace solely hard copy either, because I acknowledge the speed and convenience of digital delivery and subscription. I fall more into the hard copy camp than the digital camp when all is fleshed out though. Digital is convenient, but it also often feels like "settling for the next best thing" when it comes down to the volumes themselves.

What are the hive mind thoughts on this subject? Not trying to start any kind of flame war, or format bashing. Just trying to solicit some discussion, and insight of other members. Most new titles that I see available (say on Amazon) tend to have a Kindle/ComiXology delivery option. Curious on the prevalence of this method, other people's experiences with using digital, and overall standpoint on the topic.
edited by shoggoth80 on 2/25/2016
0 link