Trades w/Cover Reprints - Adding Creators Messages in this topic - RSS

glorkar
glorkar

3/26/2024

glorkar
glorkar
There's a couple of trades / collected volumes in verify data that must have the covers of the individual issues reprinted inside.
Both of the users that submitted creators added the Cover Artists of those as Cover Artists of the trade. That's obviously incorrect. But do/should those creators be added as interior artists?
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

3/26/2024

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
I went ahead and noped the cover artists, and submitted the actual cover artists for the SUPERMAN: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW? #1 hardcover, which oddly hadn't been submitted. Quite clearly the cover says on the left side, BOLLAND for Brian Bolland, and after confirming at comics.org, the other name, SW Anderson, is Murphy Anderson. COVER artist is for only the cover of the book itself, not the interior reprint covers by the other artists. I think the interior artists should still be listed as just Artist tho. The Star Wars 2 hardcover artist was already correct as David Aja. So noped the others.

submitted the cover artists for the Justice League #5 - Forever Heroes TPB too--Ivan Reis, Joe Prado, and Rod Reis. It appears, according to comics.org info, https://www.comics.org/issue/1546657/ , that the submitter has mixed up artists with inkers, so if GCD is right, there's a batch of those to nope, but I'll leave that to others. He/she got some right tho.
I yupped the cover artist for MADMAN COMICS #4 (Dave Stevens), as I found out he did the BACK cover. https://www.comics.org/issue/55789/ . So yupped it, but not sure if CPG counts back cover artists when it's like that? Pic attached.
edited by collectibleshop on 3/26/2024
Attachments:
madman-4-back.jpg
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

4/5/2024

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
any official answer coming to these questions?
...not sure if CPG counts back cover artists as cover artist, like on the Madman 4?
...users that submitted creators added the Cover Artists of those as Cover Artists of the trade. That's obviously incorrect. But do/should those creators be added as interior artists?
and a new one..I've run into seeing letterers submitted as part of the cover artist team, but not sure if that's correct to do. I personally don't think of letterers as 'artists' in the conventional sense, no offense, but anytime there's non-title text on the cover, should that count as 'artist'? cuz otherwise there's a bajillion that could be added to cover artist.
edited by collectibleshop on 4/5/2024
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

4/5/2024

glorkar
glorkar
I went back and forth on adding cover letterers as cover artists. Obviously I landed on adding them or you wouldn't be asking the question.
I could be persuaded either way. We'll have to wait on how the CPG team weighs in.

I know I yupped a couple of back cover artists too. Most books obviously have ads there or are wraparound covers. As an example, Classic X-Men #29. John Bolton drew an image of Colossus on the back cover. And that's all that's there. I feel that deserves credit.

edited by glorkar on 4/5/2024
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

4/5/2024

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
I don't remember who I saw that had a letterer as cover artist, don't think it was you. I didn't vote on it. And I too think if the back cover is a pinup or full piece of art that it should count as cover art and the artist credited for it. just makes it hard to verify when so few places show a back cover or databases don't include it.
0 link