Comic Values and the Golden Age Messages in this topic - RSS

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

3/16/2024

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Sometimes when I watch videos and reels about comic book values, I laugh or scoff gently. I hear someone say this book went up in value 48.2% or dropped 73.2%. It sounds very specific but comic book values are rarely that clear.

For example, I changed a golden age book the other day where the top grades and the lowest grades went up in value while the mid grades dropped. That kind of thing where one grade jumps and another drops is normal. Someone paid too much because they wanted a specific book and someone else got a killer deal. How would that video personality describe that? Everything didn't go up 48.2%. It's not as easy as a single percentage. When did it sell? How many sold recently? Was the value consistent with other recent sales?

Determining the value of comics is much more complex than most people think it is. There was another Captain Marvel Adventures book that hadn't been sold on Heritage in the last 25 years. You know if it ever went up for auction it would be a record breaker but how do you value it?

If you are a fan of the Golden Age I hope that you've been noticing the thousands of new, larger scans and all the value changes. We will continue to move through the comic ages but let the Golden Age enjoy it's moment in the spotlight.

Ron
+1 link
canesmacker
canesmacker

24 days ago

canesmacker
canesmacker
Could not agree with you more. You really need to average out the sales to come up with the most accurate value. If a you have a low sale because someone negotiated "a killer" price or another collector needed to fill that one void to complete his run and paid over asking and over guide, take the average of the two, etc and that's your value.

There exist some financial equations that can be used that factor in:
1. Qty of sales per 12 month period
2. Price paid for each transaction within 12M period
3. Segregate by grade

A simple excel spreadsheet or other software could be used to perform the calculations which would be very straightforward.
0 link