Artist Name Changes Messages in this topic - RSS

glorkar
glorkar

3/15/2024

glorkar
glorkar
Just wondering how it's treated when a creator changes their name.
Came across one that isn't a simple spelling change while working on the Blue Beetle series.
The writer is Lilah Sturges. She was born Matthew Sturges. Both names are in the database, but they are actually the same person.
Comics.org has Lilah listed for all of the books she wrote (29-36), so that's what I submitted.
Issue 36 already had Matthew in as the writer.
Apparently she came out as transgender in 2016. The books were written in 2008-2009.
Should I kill my subs and resubmit Matthew?
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

3/17/2024

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
here's another one sort of in the same vein. Louise Simonson, usually an editor and writer, is also known as Louise Jones, and is in the database as both. She was married to Jeffrey Jones in 1966 and worked under the Jones name from 1974 to apparently at least 1983 even tho she married Walt Simonson in 1980, according to a wiki page. So wonder if the database should cross reference both names, like 'Louise Simonson AKA Louise Jones' on both creator name pages and in the database for adding creators so people don't get noped or confused, depending on the issue. Comics.org says Simonson for Classic X-Men #52, same for the original issue #148, as do other databases. Louise Jones has no listed credits in the database for Classic X-Men, but that's the name Glorkar submitted (he's usually right), but I don't know which name is in the indicia.
so something for the higher ups to ponder...
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

3/17/2024

glorkar
glorkar
I did notice that one too, though I guess it click as deeply as the other one. I actually remember clicking deeper on her name on comics.org. Louise Jones was already listed on the B cover so that's what I went with.
For accuracy, I deleted Jones and re-subbed Simonson.
Is there a way to get it switched on the B cover? (https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/x-men-classic/52B/wotwk)

I'm sure if a person were to dig into it, there are probably quite a few "duplicate" listings in creators due to just name changes.
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

3/17/2024

glorkar
glorkar
I decided to switch the Lilah books to Matthew, as that should be the name printed in the credits. We've always said, "go with the indicia", so I suppose "go with the credits" should work too.
But yeah, it would be great if there was a way to link/cross reference creators when they have used multiple names.
0 link