Shops to Avoid? Messages in this topic - RSS

clyfft
clyfft

7/22/2023

clyfft
clyfft
Is there a list on here of comic shops to avoid? I am sure we have all been places that have left bad tastes in our mouths...
0 link
thunderize1
thunderize1

7/26/2023

thunderize1
thunderize1
I have been fortunate to not have had a bad experience so far, but I have heard from other's that have had 1.I'm here in San Diego area. I know most of the shops and owners personally. They all have great stores and inventory.
0 link
Gladvlad
Gladvlad

7/29/2023

Gladvlad
Gladvlad
Is this topic about local shops or on line comic shops? It's probably not going to help many people if I tell people about a bad experience I had with a shop in Gormon because most people reading this will probably never go there. BTW, that's just an example. I don't even know if there is a shop in Gormon.

If it's about on line experience then I'd say avoid newkadia. Their grading is at least a full grade higher than actual. Any inbetween grades (+ or -) will be severely over graded. They used to do a pretty good job with grading, but in the last two to three years grading has been pretty bad.

I'd stay away from them.
edited by gladvlad on 7/29/2023
+1 link
Casper0312
Casper0312

7/31/2023

Casper0312
Casper0312
Thank you for posting this. I think folks get nervous about retaliation, but I belive folks should share their experiences, good and bad to hold each other accountable. I recently joined one of the monthly mystery box things and it has been good so far. One month was crazy great, then there was another where I was "are you kidding me, 3 books?!?"

Anyway, while you may pick up a book here and there, and they used to be very organized and distributed nice "crap", stay away from LootCrate. I was running almost a year behind getting boxes, before the pandemic and I have stopped thesubscription, but every now and then,a box arrives with some random 1-2 items, not themed at all. They are a marketing giant and pull newbies in pretty easily.
0 link
thunderize1
thunderize1

8/6/2023

thunderize1
thunderize1
This is a good topic to post on. We are all collector's to some degree. These Lcs's depend upon us mostly for their benefit. We are the more likely to drop large amounts of money on a book(s) then other people. I know 1 shop here in San Diego let me put a book on lay away! I think that was a 9.0 ASM #8 and was like I wish. Just looking at it. And the owner was like I know you Dave you spend enough in here as well as help out every so often that we made a deal on it and 6 months later I got it.
+2 link