Free Comic Book Day Is A Joke Now Messages in this topic - RSS

taskmaster
taskmaster

5/8/2023

taskmaster
taskmaster
Remember when this was done to gauge interest if people coming to the story to get free books and maybe open their eyes about out great hobby and bring other people in?

Well after the last 3-4 years it has become a JOKE and should go back to the formula that worked...Cursing

Because in the last couple of years it has gone from a fun kinda adventure with your kids etc. to get them into something that was PLENTIFUL to now only having certain stores get into back and they are "limited" in qty...dunno

When before at little at 3-4 years ago they were plentiful and FREE

Now with this last FCBD I couldn't make it and had family and friends that did go and ALL of the books that were "gone" quickly are now on E-Bay going for between $5-40 depending on the book....Really??? 2 DAYS after FCBD??

Since when did "free" books go thru the roof after two days with people saying "Knew that was going to happen"

Maybe share with the rest of us???

Comic Books companies REALLY must be desperate because (One again) how does this benefit them? When you have plenty to go around it works when you purposely make FCBD in "Limited Numbers" it once again make it near impossible to get them on E-bay for a FAIR price just a couple of years ago FCBD books usually settle at about $3-5 but that's a year out or more...

Not wasting my time anymore because now that too has been tainted by ******* greed....shake head
edited by Taskmaster on 5/8/2023
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

5/9/2023

glorkar
glorkar
I don't know. I never went to a fcbd before about 5 years ago, so I don't know what it was like "back in the day" or anything.
But comic shops have to order and buy the books. They have never been free to them. But it's a marketing expense. When a consumer gets something for free, they tend to spend a little something something to feel like they aren't cheating the business. Or maybe they'll be inspired to keep coming back.
Anyway, that's off topic.
Certain books are always going to have a lower print run. Either because not that many were ordered, or they just can't pump out the volume.
I don't know what books you are desperately trying to get, but I can guarantee you that I can walk in to any of the three comic shops within 30 miles of my house and find oodles of Spider-Man / Venom and Avengers / X-Men.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

5/9/2023

taskmaster
taskmaster
glorkar wrote:
I don't know. I never went to a fcbd before about 5 years ago, so I don't know what it was like "back in the day" or anything.
But comic shops have to order and buy the books. They have never been free to them. But it's a marketing expense. When a consumer gets something for free, they tend to spend a little something something to feel like they aren't cheating the business. Or maybe they'll be inspired to keep coming back.
Anyway, that's off topic.
Certain books are always going to have a lower print run. Either because not that many were ordered, or they just can't pump out the volume.
I don't know what books you are desperately trying to get, but I can guarantee you that I can walk in to any of the three comic shops within 30 miles of my house and find oodles of Spider-Man / Venom and Avengers / X-Men.

Well you don't know then and don't give the lesson "They weren't free" DUH! I know about 4-5 people that own comic stores so stop..

And since I have experience in dealing with FCBD since 2002 and in no time were these the circumstances:

1.PLENTY of comics to go around for days after which means thousands maybe miilions of copies were made
2.Those "Free" Comics to this date go for $3-5 and most of them $1
3.And about find oodles of Spider-Man / Venom and Avengers / X-Men...yes REGULAR comics books NOT FCBD Understand now???
4.And is the past 2 years it seems like the print runs were cut down and "certain websites" know this but doesn't let anyone else know....why?
5.I actually saw a list of "Gold" and "Silver" comics out of the 52 free comics and those 8-10 are the one's going for $$$ on E-Bay? Coincidence I don't think so

So if your one of those people that think that "Free" comics should only be available on E-Bay for a marked up price 2 days after the event and alot of people either not getting the comics or the store not getting enough of certain book then you really don't care about how FCBD works and it has become a joke..
0 link
Xvipah73
Xvipah73

5/9/2023

Xvipah73
Xvipah73
+4 link
glorkar
glorkar

5/9/2023

glorkar
glorkar
taskmaster wrote:

Well you don't know then and don't give the lesson "They weren't free" DUH! I know about 4-5 people that own comic stores so stop..

And since I have experience in dealing with FCBD since 2002 and in no time were these the circumstances:

1.PLENTY of comics to go around for days after which means thousands maybe miilions of copies were made
2.Those "Free" Comics to this date go for $3-5 and most of them $1
3.And about find oodles of Spider-Man / Venom and Avengers / X-Men...yes REGULAR comics books NOT FCBD Understand now???
4.And is the past 2 years it seems like the print runs were cut down and "certain websites" know this but doesn't let anyone else know....why?
5.I actually saw a list of "Gold" and "Silver" comics out of the 52 free comics and those 8-10 are the one's going for $$$ on E-Bay? Coincidence I don't think so

So if your one of those people that think that "Free" comics should only be available on E-Bay for a marked up price 2 days after the event and alot of people either not getting the comics or the store not getting enough of certain book then you really don't care about how FCBD works and it has become a joke..

1. Might be exaggerating a bit there with the millions remark. But yeah, certain titles definitely have a pretty high print run.
2. Just because they were free to get at the time, doesn't mean they always stay free. Most comics never stay valued at cover price.
3. And I was specifically talking about the FCBD issues of Spider-Man / Venom and Avengers / X-Men. Those two titles have massive print runs for FCBD every year.
4. Not sure what to say about this.
5. Gold and Silver are the sponsor levels. You can see the breakdown on https://www.freecomicbookday.com/catalog every year. The only books that aren't Gold or Silver are DC books, since they don't list on the official site.

I totally agree that this should be a fun event to get people interested in the hobby. And it would be nice if there was enough of every title printed so that everyone that wanted one could get one.
But since that isn't reality, supply and demand in a kicks in. Some books had less printed. Some people got those books. Other people want those books, so some of the people that have them are willing to sell them.
I truly don't know if you feel bad that you missed out on a certain title, or if you feel bad that you missed out on a "free" book that is now worth $25 so you feel cheated.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

5/9/2023

taskmaster
taskmaster
glorkar wrote:
1.. Might be exaggerating a bit there with the millions remark. But yeah, certain titles definitely have a pretty high print run.
2. Just because they were free to get at the time, doesn't mean they always stay free. Most comics never stay valued at cover price.
3. And I was specifically talking about the FCBD issues of Spider-Man / Venom and Avengers / X-Men. Those two titles have massive print runs for FCBD every year.
4. Not sure what to say about this.
5. Gold and Silver are the sponsor levels. You can see the breakdown on https://www.freecomicbookday.com/catalog every year. The only books that aren't Gold or Silver are DC books, since they don't list on the official site.

I totally agree that this should be a fun event to get people interested in the hobby. And it would be nice if there was enough of every title printed so that everyone that wanted one could get one.
But since that isn't reality, supply and demand in a kicks in. Some books had less printed. Some people got those books. Other people want those books, so some of the people that have them are willing to sell them.
I truly don't know if you feel bad that you missed out on a certain title, or if you feel bad that you missed out on a "free" book that is now worth $25 so you feel cheated.

So if your mind a free (See key word) FREE book show be selling for $25 within two days??

You seem to be missing the point of FREE comic book day...

if you treat this day like any regular business day then so be it how about next free comic book day they should charge $10 a book with a limit of two and rename it (No So Free Comic Book Day) see your missing THE POINT of FCBD as being free and to get people coming in if someone wants that book (in your world)they should PAY $25 or more for a comic book that was free two days ok....OK your right next year all the companies should charge customers $$$$ to get free books...WOW! you have no clue and missed the point...
edited by Taskmaster on 5/9/2023
0 link