Advance Comics.... Anyone? Messages in this topic - RSS

Attilladehunt
Attilladehunt

2/12/2023

Attilladehunt
Attilladehunt
I recently acquired a couple of pieces titled "Advance Comics" from Dec '93 and Jan '94. These are big ol' bruisers in that they are taller and wider than, as well as thicker than, most any comic I have seen. However, these aren't neccessarily intended to be comics either, but rather they are like a Comic Industry preview of sorts.
They are both polybagged, and inside the polybag are multiple other items, like promo stuff, samples of new/unreleased items.
For example, there are promo trading cards from SkyBox & Marvel, a Fleer Ultra uncut 9-card sample/promo sheet, a collectable postcard, a Valiant and a Dark Horse mini-comic or Topp's Comics ashcan edition, and the easily 5/8" thick book itself, titled ADVANCE COMICS, which reminds me, size-wise at least,of the old Christmas WishBook insert, from the mid-'70's Sears or Penney's catalog, from W-A-Y- back in my youth. The covers of the big books are laid out like any number of magazines might also be laid out.
Multiple publishers are present in the content-teases on the covers and major characters are present in full-color imagery complete with story-line tie-ins; Cyclops & bride being married for example. Sort of like a Wizard mag, only much more, with most of the items marked ADVANCE COMICS EXCLUSIVE and such.
Anyone have info about these or even know what I am (poorly) describing to you?
edited by AttillaDeHunt on 2/12/2023
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

2/12/2023

BasementComics
BasementComics
Advance Comics was used by distributor (out of business) Capital City for previewing books that were coming in the next few months. They were a competitor to Diamond Comics and their "Previews". Sold auctions on ebay show that they typically go for $5-20 ish dollars based on who's on the cover and what's included bagged with it.
+1 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

2/12/2023

BasementComics
BasementComics
Advance Comics was used by distributor (out of business) Capital City for previewing books that were coming in the next few months. They were a competitor to Diamond Comics and their "Previews". Sold auctions on ebay show that they typically go for $5-20 ish dollars based on who's on the cover and what's included bagged with it.
0 link
Attilladehunt
Attilladehunt

2/17/2023

Attilladehunt
Attilladehunt
Hey, Thanx for your response! I think I will go ahead and open the polys and have a better look at the preview/ashcan-style comics that are pkg'd within, and the cards and postcards, too. Thanx again for your helpful answer. Peace!
0 link