Warrior Magazine on the rise Messages in this topic - RSS

drsettleton
drsettleton

11/15/2022

drsettleton
drsettleton
With the return of Miracleman in full swing at Marvel there appears to be some interest online in people putting together runs of Warrior Magazine 1-26, which contain the first appearances of Marvelman (Miracleman) and V for Vendetta.
The current prices in the guide are a bit low compared to what I'm seeing as I recently put together a mid grade collection myself. Finding any of these issues in VF+/NM condition is very difficult as these books are oversized and require specialty made bags and boards that most collectors selling them just don't have, causing the tops of the books to be bent or dinged. Regular magazine bags and boards are not tall enough to fit these books. I ordered some from a UK seller and am waiting for them to arrive- it cost me roughly $50 for 40 bags and boards, so they can be expensive.
The result is that the majority of sales appear to be in VF condition at best for the most part, with zero graded copies to be found on eBay outside of issue 1, which had three recent sales: a 4.5 for $370, a 7.5 for $760 with 29 bids, and a 9.0 with a best offer accepted somewhere below $3,400. Issues 2-17 seem to be selling in the $10+ range, while the later issues, 18-26 are averaging closer to $20 due to relative scarcity. Marvelman (Miracleman) stops appearing as of issue 22, though V for Vendetta runs all the way through 26.
Checking the CGC census it seems there are only 160 graded copies of issue 1 with only 9 (NINE!) over a 9.2. Issue 2 only has 8 graded copies (1 copy graded higher than 9.2) and most of the issues after that have either 1 or NO GRADED COPIES. This would seem to indicate that high grade copies are rarer and would certainly sell for a premium were they to ever show up on the market. The last two issues, 25 and 26, seem especially scarce in any grade.
Buy it now prices from sellers are inching towards that $50 range for later issues, but auctions will certainly provide you better results if you are persistent and can be patient. Issue 1 seems to sell cheaper in lots than it does on its own so prospective buyers looking to get in on Warrior might save money overall that way.
Anyone else out there picking up these issues?
0 link