TTA 35 -- question re potential PGX typo Messages in this topic - RSS

stephanm
stephanm

10/26/2022

stephanm
stephanm
Hi,
I just won (well, remains to be seen if it's a "win" ;-) Tales to Astonish 35 in an auction.

A PGX graded 3.5, for EUR 450 (which is pretty exactly US$ 450 these days).
If it were a 3.5, I suppose it's an excellent price.

I very much doubt it a 3.5, though -- in the photos the spine looks terribly distressed.

(I attach the three photos the seller put online for the auction -- I hope they are visible, as I have limited experience posting photos on the Forum. (That stuff about the

Apart from the spine problems, it really does look like a 3.5, but severe spine damage is a serious thing.
But I was aware of that, and even if it turns out to be a 3.0 (or even a 2.5) I think it's an OK deal.

Any comments welcome (also whether I should crack the case -- I am not a fan of slabs anyway, as I like to read (and look at) my comics, PGX doesn't add much in terms of value anyway, and I'd rather know whether there are any hidden horrors in this supposed 3.5, for example a loose cover)

But my main question is the following:

PGX put an issue date of "10/72" on their label.
TTA 35 is more than ten years older than that, of course -- 9/62

The book looks totally like the original 1962 version, and I have never heard of a a 1972 reprint of the issue, so I am reasonably relaxed about it and assume it is just a typo by PGX.

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with similar label errors by PGX? (seems like a silly error to make. If it were just the year, or just the month that's off -- but two errors?)

Thanks in advance for any advice/feedback!

Stephan
0 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

10/26/2022

aarondawe
aarondawe
That's a pretty fugly 3.5. The spine does look a little to 'worn' to be a 3.5 from what I can see. PGX is pretty liberal with lower grades from my experience. I have a FF #5 that's a PGX 2.0 that looks more like 1.5 to me, but I got it at a decent price at the time.

As to the errors, PGX is known for low quality control, which might be because allegedly it is run and done by one person.

Aaron
0 link
stephanm
stephanm

10/27/2022

stephanm
stephanm
Thanks, Aaron -- much appreciated. Pretty much as I thought.

One positive update, however.

Overnight I've written to PGX, with little hope for a response (having read elsewhere that their response times are long to non-existent)

To my pleasant surprise I got a super-quick and super-friendly response from a lady called Collette, who confirmed that the release date on the label must be an error, she apologized, and offered a free relabeling (and re-casing) PLUS a complimentary free grading of a book of my choice (which I could send together with the TTA 35)

Not sure if I'll do it, as I'm based in Germany and the shipping is super expensive and takes ages.
But I thought it was a really nice response and changed a lot of my misgivings about PGX.

Maybe they are really getting their act together ...
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

10/27/2022

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
If it were mine, I would crack it open. A PGX grade of 3.5 is not helping to add value to book. smile If anything, it's holding it back. imho smile
0 link
stephanm
stephanm

10/28/2022

stephanm
stephanm
Thanks, Rixmaxx ...

Hmm, I'm torn. I take your point about value (although value is secondary, really, as it's for my collection).

Plus, I've never really seen the point of having low grade books (unless it's Action Comics 1 or so) slabbed.

If it wasn't for the obviously dodgy spine, I almost certainly would crack it.

I'm just concerned that the book might be so fragile that cracking the case and putting it in a standard bag will result in a detached cover...

Ah well, maybe I'll wait for the moment.

I can crack it later, but not "un-crack" it ... ;-)
edited by stephanm on 10/28/2022
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

10/28/2022

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
You are right, there is no point in slabbing low grade books. I have around two thousand of my best books in Mylar. I have a couple of books in slabs, but I've never had one slabbed. I want to be able to look at and touch my books. Do the grading notes say that your book is brittle? The only reason to keep it in the slab is for future sale. RIXMAXX | Comics Price Guide
+1 link
stephanm
stephanm

10/30/2022

stephanm
stephanm
Congrats on your TTA 27. Looks really nice! Impossible to
really tell from one photo, but maybe a 5.0?

Yes, like you I never had any of my books slabbed (about
1000 SA, a little under 2000 70s BA, and about 7000 80s and early 90s).

I‘ve only bought 3 slabs, simply because they were available
and the price was right. A JIM 109 (CGC 3.5) which I promptly cracked and a TOS
59 (CGC 6.5) which I wanted to crack and didn’t, because, admittedly, it looked
rather pretty in its case (presented much better than 6.5). I ended up buying a
lower grade TOS 59 as a reading copy, LOL. And swore never to buy slabs again
and broke the promise to myself with the aforementioned TTA 35 just now :-I

As for the paper quality of the TTA 35, I don’t have the
graders notes yet, but have asked PGX. Let‘s see…
0 link

11/2/2022

Nice book...Just speaking for me when I say that when I buy a PGX slab I look for a very cheap price as in my experience when I get them re-slabbed by CGC I always get .5 to 1 point ding due to the difference of grading. I only re-slab if the value is worth it. I've found in my limited travels that CBCS is in lock step with CGC on grading on all my tests when getting re-slabbed to CGC which gives me more money on the market when I sell. I also add that when I get a PGX re-slabbed to CGC I also had the books pressed and cleaned as well and still got the .5 to point drop...Maybe once I got a 1.5 drop...can't remember. But when paying for a PGX slab I always calculate at least one full point lower and add the re-slab and S&H into the cost when buying so almost never get one anymore. If you want to keep it I say you could leave it in the slab as it will be protected and save money. On this book due to the value I would guess if it was in a CGC slab you would get between 280-400 ball park...Just my two cents and good luck on your decision...cool book and fun discussion.
+1 link
stephanm
stephanm

11/7/2022

stephanm
stephanm

It's definitely for my own collection, not for resale,
and after thinking it through and listening to everyone's helpful
suggestions, I have decided to keep it
slabbed.

Normally I would crack the case for a low grade book,
but:

a. TTA 35 is one
of the priciest books I own, and
protection is a factor (not least because of the damaged spine)

b. it is not
the most exciting book inside (it is nice
Kirby art, but far from his his greatest accomplishment. The cover is
its best feature.) and I have a number of reprints to read the story.

c. because it's a pretty recent PGX case (2018), it
really presents well in the case (not much different from a CGC).

Thanks, all!

Stephan
0 link