Problems editing issues' collection details Messages in this topic - RSS

Alphasuntory
Alphasuntory

9/19/2022

Alphasuntory
Alphasuntory
Noticing unexpected behavior recently, having to do with the "Edit" function (for modifying collection-specific details like box, grade, price paid, etc.) on comics that are already present in one's collection.

When the "Edit" button is clicked, the fields that appear for editing don't retain their values, and seem to revert to a generic default. The Condition dropdown appears set at "(9.4) Near Mint", regardless of how that item's condition was previously set; the Add To Box dropdown defaults to "Unorganized."

The problems with this are probably obvious -- this makes it very easy to inadvertently lose certain information that you've already set, when editing an item in your collection.

This seems to be occurring regardless of which "view" one is using to display items in their collection (list-style view in a user's boxes, or in a "Your Issues" section of a series page, or in an individual issue's "My Collection" tab view).

The following fields / settings DO seem to correctly retain their preexisting user-set values:
Issue Notes
You Paid
Graded
Autographed

Screenshots are attached. (Edit: also displayed inline now, sorry if they're too big / too small, I couldn't find the sweet spot lol).

Individual issue My Collection view:

Editing an issue while in list view (within a box, or within a "My Issues" context on a series' page).

edited by alphasuntory on 9/19/2022
0 link
Alphasuntory
Alphasuntory

10/10/2022

Alphasuntory
Alphasuntory
For whatever it's worth, I happened to notice that the above does NOT appear to be happening while editing in-collection comics via the mobile version of the website. There, any preexisting settings for box & grade are preserved when the Edit button is hit.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

10/10/2022

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I think that I can help.
The top line that has the grade 9.0 and box # is for that specific book.

The edit area is the default setting. They don't match because one (the top area) is your specific book, the lower area is where you can change any of that data.

Does that make sense?
Ron
0 link
Alphasuntory
Alphasuntory

10/11/2022

Alphasuntory
Alphasuntory
Thanks Ron, and no I understand that part.

It's just that, from a user perspective, that behavior seems counterintuitive.

Let's say I want to adjust the price-paid value I'd previously entered on a comic I own.

When I navigate to that issue, and hit "Edit," the behavior I'd expect is that I can adjust the price value, and hit save, and that's that.

It is not my expectation that while I'm doing that, other fields are reverting to their default values, losing whatever information I'd previously entered there.

And like I say -- this behavior I'm reporting does NOT happen when using the site on a mobile browser. The behavior I'm experiencing in that context is exactly what I would expect -- the initial state when entering "Edit" mode is that all previously-entered values are preserved (but of course available for the user to modify).

I hope this makes sense.

I'll do some more testing across platforms & browsers. The environment in which I'm seeing the reported behavior is Safari 16.0 on OSX 12.6.

The mobile environment in which I'm seeing the behavior I'd expect is Brave v1.44 on Android 13.
0 link
Alphasuntory
Alphasuntory

10/11/2022

Alphasuntory
Alphasuntory
OK -- after some quick testing it looks like this behavior is only happening in Safari. Apologies, testing other browsers should've been my first step.

In my OSX environment, entering Edit mode correctly retains previously-entered data in Brave, Chrome, and Firefox

Seems like Safari is the only one not playing nice.

Apologies for the confusion. Might be worth looking into for Safari users' sake. But for my part, I'm just going to use a different browser.
0 link