Should I Insure A Comic? Messages in this topic - RSS

Ptmac76
Ptmac76

7/27/2022

Ptmac76
Ptmac76
I hit the jackpot in 1988 when I was 12. The owner of the comic shop in the small town where I grew up passed away unexpectedly and his mother held, what amounts to, a fire sale on his collection. I purchased The Incredible Hulk #181 for $45 (my dad actually chewed me out for spending the money I'd earned cleaning and stocking his pharmacy on a comic book). I just got the book back from CBCS and it was graded a 5.5. A copy at this grade sold on ebay for $5000 this year. My question is, should I insure it against possible loss,theft or damage? Is such coverage cost prohibit6?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

7/27/2022

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
There is collectible insurance that you can get.
Collectinsure.com

There are also places with vaults where you can store your most prized collectible. I know CBCS and Ebay have vaults.
Ron
+3 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

7/27/2022

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
Ptmac76 wrote:
I hit the jackpot in 1988 when I was 12. The owner of the comic shop in the small town where I grew up passed away unexpectedly and his mother held, what amounts to, a fire sale on his collection. I purchased The Incredible Hulk #181 for $45 (my dad actually chewed me out for spending the money I'd earned cleaning and stocking his pharmacy on a comic book). I just got the book back from CBCS and it was graded a 5.5. A copy at this grade sold on ebay for $5000 this year. My question is, should I insure it against possible loss,theft or damage? Is such coverage cost prohibit6?

If you have just a few valuable books, just buy a fireproof safe. smile I have four, each hold around a hundred books.
-1 link
Ptmac76
Ptmac76

7/27/2022

Ptmac76
Ptmac76
Ronbatman wrote:
There is collectible insurance that you can get.
Collectinsure.com

There are also places with vaults where you can store your most prized collectible. I know CBCS and Ebay have vaults.
Ron

Thank you.
0 link
Ptmac76
Ptmac76

7/27/2022

Ptmac76
Ptmac76
rixmaxx wrote:
Ptmac76 wrote:

If you have just a few valuable books, just buy a fireproof safe. smile I have four, each hold around a hundred books.

Thanks!
0 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

7/27/2022

aarondawe
aarondawe
Banks have safety deposit boxes.

Careful with the fireproof safes. I recall many years ago someone the forum used them and the actual degraded the books (I believe staple rust, or something like that).

Aaron
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

7/27/2022

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
read these CGC forum posts about using fireproof safes and safety deposit boxes:
https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/61106-important-information-about-storing-comic-books-in-fire-proofresistant-safes/
https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/455040-psa-storage-units-and-comics-dont-do-it/page/4/#comment-12365518

there's also plenty of posts there on collectibles insurance companies/policies, but check with your homeowners policy or renter's policy, as some will cover the value of all possessions to a certain limit.

here's a report/review on various collectibles insurance companies, dated 7-24-22, this should help.
https://www.investopedia.com/best-collectibles-insurance-5101072
edited by collectibleshop on 7/27/2022
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

7/28/2022

BasementComics
BasementComics
I have insurance through Beckett for my entire collection.
0 link