Pressing and Cleaning Messages in this topic - RSS

Taznomadic
Taznomadic

2/8/2022

Taznomadic
Taznomadic
Hi,

Would you recommend to have CGC press and clean your books prior to grading or would you rather another 3rd party to press and clean before sending to CGC? And what 3rd party services are out there than can do this? I'm in NYC any recommendation in the city or near NY/NJ/CT

Thank you!!!
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

2/9/2022

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I wouldn't recommend CGC press and clean since they damaged an ASM 300 that I sent to them. After pressing and cleaning thousands of books I know what happened with that book. Basically, someone tightened the press too tight and it split the top of the spine.

Two thoughts that might help you
1. Comics Price Guide does press and clean books but we aren't in your area
2. When you find someone near you ask how many books they've pressed. Do they dry clean only or do they use any chemical washes? Do they have references? Everyone seems to think they can press books but it's a skill developed over time. Ask questions upfront.

Ron
0 link
fdaz89
fdaz89

2/9/2022

fdaz89
fdaz89
I wouldn't use CGC to grade, either. I recommend CBCS.
0 link
Xvipah73
Xvipah73

2/14/2022

Xvipah73
Xvipah73
CGC's pressing has been hit and miss as far as I can see.

CBCS does a great job with pressing if you send to them for a press and grade.

CPG here does a really good job also, I've sent books to Ron numerous times and always been happy with the outcome.

Joe at CFP Comics also does an amazing job, but everyone knows how good he is, so he has a massive backlog https://cfpcomics.com/
edited by xvipah73 on 2/14/2022
edited by xvipah73 on 2/14/2022
0 link