Coin Collecting Messages in this topic - RSS

jarhead_84
jarhead_84

2/8/2022

jarhead_84
jarhead_84
Along with my comicbooks, I also have a decent sized coin collection, but not the faintest idea of a decent online inventory collection, much like CPG. Does anybody know of one, or some sort of program that they may use. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ben
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

2/8/2022

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
google is your friend, or duckduckgo smile. all kinds of coin collecting software out there, most seem to cost money tho.
try "free" Coin collection inventory software ' . putting 'free' in quotes makes sure it's included in the site results, cuts down a bit on non-free ones. or if you don't mind paying, leave out 'free'.

I'd go search/ask on the NGC forum, surely they can tell you all you want to know: https://boards.ngccoin.com/

or the https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry, it's free, not sure if it's only for graded coins tho.

this is 4 years old, but may be of use with answers: https://www.money.org/forums/numismatic-reference-lists/coin-collecting-software

I found this free online site, didn't set off any virus alerts, not sure how safe/good it is. not the best english, but comes in multiple languages. doesn't have market prices tho, just inventory tracking: http://opennumismat.github.io/
"OpenNumismat is a handy and reliable application aimed at coin collectors, numismatists or amateurs looking to create a numismatics collection.
With OpenNumismat, you will be able to organize and manage coin collection: create an advanced catalogue of your coins, wish and selling lists, view statistics for your collection."
most of these tend to be apps for phones vs a site like CPG, but only did 1 search and only checked a few sites on page 1. have fun...
edited by collectibleshop on 2/8/2022
0 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

2/8/2022

aarondawe
aarondawe
I use this site.

Numista

Aaron
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

2/9/2022

glorkar
glorkar
I'm big into coin collecting too. Like Aaron, I use Numista (en.numista.com for the English language site). They have a great database. It's easy to manage your collection. The forum is full of nice and knowledgeable people who are glad to help you identify your coins as well as answer any questions you might have.

I also use the price guides on NGC (ngccoin.com) frequently. You have to know what you have before you can use that though. Pretty easy for US stuff. The foreign stuff can be a little trickier though.

What kind of coins do you collect?
0 link
jarhead_84
jarhead_84

2/9/2022

jarhead_84
jarhead_84
Thanks, gives me a direction to work in. I did see a lot of different sites, but really no clue as to which works best. Sounds like Numista is a good starting point!
glorkar, US coins and Proof/Mint sets, commemorative and some paper currency, he has a lot of military script from his time in the Korean War, and I picked up a bunch from Kuwait/Iraq wen I was deployed, my dad and I collected for many years, up until he passed away on 2005. They have been since sitting in safety deposit boxes and then the last several years in my sisters safe at home. Now its just a matter of getting caught up from 2005 with proof/mint sets, and filling up the many different coin albums from that time as well
Ben
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

2/9/2022

glorkar
glorkar
That's pretty cool. It's a nice little reminder of him every time you look at the collection.
I've got a little bit of everything from all over. Nothing quite as personal as yours, but I just like the designs and history. I've got 3500 coins from 243 countries that are or were.
My main focus right now is on pre-1900s stuff. I've got a bit of paper currency too, but mine is mostly silver certificates and star notes.
I really love the look of the US silver proof sets though. I've gotten the last few years. They're a little pricy, but boy are they shiny and pretty :p
0 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

2/9/2022

aarondawe
aarondawe
Having a family member that worked for an airline and a transit company is how I got most of my non-North American coins. The transit company would sell to employees 5kg bags of foreign coins and tokens used by people to ride the bus etc. That family member would take the Euros for vacations and I could get the leftovers. You'd be surprised at some of the coins people would use when they didn't have proper fare.

Aaron
0 link