Chuck Norris in Comics Messages in this topic - RSS

Gilgandra
Gilgandra

1/24/2022

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Hey Guys. I recently came across "Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos" Star Comics set. Got me thinking about his first appearance in comics. Does anybody know where it was? Google was no help. I have him in "The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #20" 1976 which would be about right also.. is this his first cover appearance??. Anyway thanks for any help you may have.
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

1/24/2022

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
odd that google doesn't come up with a definite answer, you'd think it would be posted somewhere on some Norris fan site, if not in the comic database sites. Best I could find was using the 'everything' search on comics.org and his name and sorted by year. So they mention his name in The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #19, but it's only a text blurb to announce his appearance in #20. So I'd say #20 is his first app, cover and story. Karate Kommandos wasn't till 1986, so most likely DHOKF 20 was his first comic book.
edited by collectibleshop on 1/24/2022
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

1/25/2022

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Thanks. yeah I wasn't to through with a search Lol. If I'd spent hours looking to find it but being the legendary Chuck Norris I'd thought it would be obvious but it wasn't. I think he would have been in heaps of magazines from the day but actual comic book...?? Anyway. Least you confirmed what I have got. I'll add the info to that book.
I have a few more that I need info for, I should start a thread for them. Use the knowledge that's here. Do that later.
Thanks.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/3/2022

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Ok I have an update on this subject. I bought a copy of DHOKF #20. He has 2 nice paintings of him (cover and inside front cover). There is the interview the magazine has with him but other then that no actual comic appearance of him.
Only few references I found were on com## vin# which stated he had 28 appearances, most where in MAD & Cracked Magazine during the 80's (not sure if these count as comic book appearances, I should imagine not). So that leaves one other, Chuck Norris "Karate Kommandos" (star Comics). I wrote in the "Facts" line that it's his first Full appearance in mainstream American comics. https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/chuck-norris/1B/pkxrixv DHOKF #20 being his first on cover. He does appear in DHOKF #28 but in an interview.
What do you guys think, If anyone else has more information on the subject please feel free to talk about it. Thanks -Gil.
edited by Gilgandra on 2/3/2022
edited by Gilgandra on 2/3/2022
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

2/3/2022

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
I'd say what you did is fine. CPG does list Mad but I didn't bother to check if any are noted for Chuck Norris apps. or anyone else for that matter, but probably not. Odd that DHOKF would bother to put a painting of him on the outside and inside cover, do an interview, but don't do a comic story of him.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/3/2022

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Yeah, I even read #28 online or skipped through it mostly. It has the Bruce Lee story after his death in comic book form (that's the next one I need to tackle) thinks his is DHOKF #1 anyway getting off track here. But only see he's name (Chuck Norris) mentioned in an interview. Was not a big fan of MAD did read a few throughout the 80's at school but that was it. But unless some obscure publisher did have him in an actual comic book between 1976 and 1987 Yes! big gap, then Karate Kommandos is it well FULL appearance anyway. Well that was a fun ride, Helps when you have an interest as well.
0 link