Trade vs Virgin Variant Covers Messages in this topic - RSS

glarimer
glarimer

1/19/2022

glarimer
glarimer
After recently returning to collecting, and being a bit stunned specifically by how things have changed with variant covers compared to my youth (I only had Newsstand and Direct editions to deal with), I'm curious what people's thoughts are on Trade vs Virgin variants. I understand the valuation differences based on rarity and all that, but beyond the business side of it ... what do people think of one vs the other?
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

1/19/2022

glorkar
glorkar
For me it's about the art. If there are different images on the two, I'll grab the one that appeals to me the most. If they are the same image but one doesn't have the trade dress, I'll usually opt for the cheaper of the two.
+1 link
Xvipah73
Xvipah73

1/20/2022

Xvipah73
Xvipah73
For me I get virgin's when I really like the art. That way the title, etc.. isn't blocking it out.

Otherwise I stick with Trade's or minimal's mostly, easier to catalog/keep track of when everything is on the cover smile
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

1/20/2022

glorkar
glorkar
And if you really want to make things confusing, don't forget about minimal trade covers. They still have the title and issue number and all that, but it's significantly smaller and tucked off to the side.
0 link
claydwilli
claydwilli

1/21/2022

claydwilli
claydwilli
Agreed, it's all about the art. I enjoy it when there's some really cool cover available, but I gotta say I annoys me when you see a comic coming out and there's 10 or 15 covers, just seems silly. Give us 1 standard, and one cool variant and call it a day.
0 link