Print Runs Messages in this topic - RSS

pukie2122
pukie2122

1/18/2022

pukie2122
pukie2122
Does anyone know if there is a comprehensive source to see how many issues were printed of a comic book?

Like a price guide but instead of prices, showing print runs.

I seem to remember browsing thru a book like that many years ago at Half price books. Unfortunately I did not buy it.
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

1/18/2022

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
there are 1-2 online sources, I don't remember the names or have time to search (anyone hear of google?), but word is they may not be all that accurate, as that info may not have been kept or isn't public or findable by the defunct publishers now. do a net search for 'comic book print runs' and you'll find some. or go to the CGC forum and do that search, they have covered that subject a few times. https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/8-comics-general/
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

1/18/2022

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Try Comichron there good.
https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

1/18/2022

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
Gilgandra wrote:

yeah, that's the main one I've heard about. Sounds like a Transformers robot tho.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

1/19/2022

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
collectibleshop wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:

yeah, that's the main one I've heard about. Sounds like a Transformers robot tho.

Or something from 80's Astroboy
0 link
pukie2122
pukie2122

1/19/2022

pukie2122
pukie2122
Thank you. I was mostly interested in Marvel & DC comics maybe from 1950 thru 1985.

For instance Worlds Finest #71 from 1954. Not many in CGC census and you never know how many were broken out and submitted to CGC again resulting in duplicate listings.

So how may really exist. Some comic publications guess maybe there are only 100 copies in existence. Made me wonder how many were printed.

An easy, alphabetical listing like a dictionary would be an easy resource to consult. I saw a book like that once. The web sites I saw look awkward to navigate and are limited in range and info.
0 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

1/19/2022

aarondawe
aarondawe
pukie2122 wrote:
Thank you. I was mostly interested in Marvel & DC comics maybe from 1950 thru 1985.

For instance Worlds Finest #71 from 1954. Not many in CGC census and you never know how many were broken out and submitted to CGC again resulting in duplicate listings.

So how may really exist. Some comic publications guess maybe there are only 100 copies in existence. Made me wonder how many were printed.

An easy, alphabetical listing like a dictionary would be an easy resource to consult. I saw a book like that once. The web sites I saw look awkward to navigate and are limited in range and info.

Before the direct market in 78-79, print runs wouldn't really provide any meaningful numbers. In the '40s, comics were printed in the millions (supposedly), but most were pulped because of wartime shortages.

Also, newsstands were also able to return unsold books, so a book with a print run of 350K could have had more than a third of those returned. Without return figures, you wouldn't be able to really know how many 'exist/existed' at publication time. I recall on Jim Shooter's blog, that he mentioned that sometimes they had more returns of a title than were printed due to an involvement of criminal activity in the process.

Aaron
0 link
pukie2122
pukie2122

1/19/2022

pukie2122
pukie2122
Great information. Thank you.
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

1/19/2022

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
pukie2122 wrote:
Great information. Thank you.

was the book maybe The Photo-Journal Guide to Comic Books? Has several volumes covering A-Z, goes from 1938 to mid-'80s I think. amazon has some cheaper softcover versions. "In addition (to the photos), each series listing features supplemental information noting publication year, creators, scarcity guide, and more." Not sure if it has actual print runs tho, or how much info has changed since the internet came along and turned many collectors into sellers that made 'scarce' copies less scarce.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

1/19/2022

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Yeah print runs knowing or not knowing make collecting comic books work. To add to the debate, Underground comic books are in the same boat. Some are totally unknown (both prints runs or even if they exist at all). It is truly in the hands of the collectors themselves.
0 link
lokyel
lokyel

1/19/2022

lokyel
lokyel
not to say that how many books were recycled, gone up in house fires or national disasters.
0 link