Have you noticed? Messages in this topic - RSS

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

1/3/2022

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Have you noticed all the venture capital that is being poured into the comic book industry?

CGC parent company bought by Blackstone. Valued at 500 million for CGC alone

Whatnot app raises 225 million to buy new tech and almost all comic YouTube personalities.

I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of right now.

Two things -
Can you name other comic companies that have received venture capital recently?

What do you think will happen to the market because of all this money?

Ron
0 link
ruk
ruk

1/3/2022

ruk
ruk
No idea but generally money follows opportunity
The bidding on comic auctions is bizarre
I have seen very normal comics bid up to silly heights
I know that my collection wd go for more than listed as it is impossible to keep up with all the movement
and when they make a movie about a comic character or a TV personality-watch out
kind of fun if you own a collection
great hobby-fun collecting and value increases-
I have not seen that with Stamps- unless you have the super rare stuff-especially US--
But for comics it is undervalued if anything-that is especially true for Golden age and Silver and particular Bronze-Spiderman- etc.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

1/4/2022

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
I heard a little while ago that they were trying to categorize them as legit works of art (well some anyway).
0 link
canesmacker
canesmacker

1/4/2022

canesmacker
canesmacker
I agree with ruk - prices at comic auctions are ridiculous. Great time to sell / bad time to buy.
+1 link
ruk
ruk

1/4/2022

ruk
ruk
Great discussion
A wise man said to me a long time ago
-busines is a tetter totter-
we do not know whether we are buying or selling
I am not sure whether these high prices mean one sd sell.
what will you get back?
Money.
and what will money be worth a year from now?
-or 2 years?
and what will that comic be worth
I really sincerely do not know the answer but I think it is useful to ask the question.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

1/5/2022

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Overview -
All of these venture capitalists entering the comic book market will want their money back with interest. It would not surprise me if CGC raised its prices in the next year to recoup the invested money. All of these multi million dollar investments need a return.

Some of Ruk's questions involve inflation on the rise. "What will money be worth?" There are people who aren't comic collectors who invest in high-end comics as part of their portfolio. They might have a certain percentage of their investments in stocks, crypto, gold, real estate and comics. We are seeing a significant rise in the price of 9.8 graded comics.
R
0 link
Xvipah73
Xvipah73

1/5/2022

Xvipah73
Xvipah73
CGC just did raise its prices.

The question I wonder is if CBCS will do the same or sit tight to grab more market share first.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/9757/2022-cgc-fees/
edited by xvipah73 on 1/5/2022
0 link
ruk
ruk

1/5/2022

ruk
ruk
Dear Ron and others
weird the price difference on 9.8 from a grade slightly below-or if it says "Highest graded copy"
and wealth diversifies -
I am not a fan of Crypto-still do not know what it is-
but as for the rest of your list I agree and wd add art-I guess comics are art
I wd be more careful on gold and silver-they may be less attractive but again one never knows
But you may be correct-Comics may be the next crazy market
0 link
claydwilli
claydwilli

1/5/2022

claydwilli
claydwilli
Comics are going the same direction as magic cards and other collectables. It's the same path that 'high art' has always taken, along with high end cars. They are a place that the wealthy see that they can 'store' their cash and get returns. The aim is returns. The venture capitalists see a booming market and capitalizing on the services that support it. Investing is all about the service markets. If you see a trend, look and see what services will support that trend and buy them up. If you see that people like coffee, don't just go out and buy coffee beans, buy the companies that makes the roasters and the grinders. Buy cardboard production companies and trucks and corner real estate. All that said, I bet anything that those who now own CGC also own super high end comics and are pressuring the market to drive up those values.
+1 link
william343
william343

2/18/2022

william343
william343
This has happened before. Early 90's collectibles, followed by late 90's speculation in .com's. Neither turned out well. It took 30 years for speculators to make their money back on early 90's comics. Most sold at a loss within 10 years (which is how I built the bulk of my collection). Will we ever see slabs at flea markets, yard sales, and peddler's malls? Maybe, maybe not. I can't help but think of a friend with all of his Spawn action figures hanging around his bedroom, still in packages. As for the .com's, if a site is purchased and it doesn't return the desired profit, that's usually bad. It will become a shell of its former self. Think of Yahoo and other websites that were purchased and had a poor ROI. Usually there's only one winner.
edited by william343 on 2/18/2022
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

2/18/2022

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
+1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

2/25/2022

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
claydwilli wrote:
Comics are going the same direction as magic cards and other collectables. It's the same path that 'high art' has always taken, along with high end cars. They are a place that the wealthy see that they can 'store' their cash and get returns. The aim is returns. The venture capitalists see a booming market and capitalizing on the services that support it. Investing is all about the service markets. If you see a trend, look and see what services will support that trend and buy them up. If you see that people like coffee, don't just go out and buy coffee beans, buy the companies that makes the roasters and the grinders. Buy cardboard production companies and trucks and corner real estate. All that said, I bet anything that those who now own CGC also own super high end comics and are pressuring the market to drive up those values.

Most of the money now is from collectors. The biggest investing by the venture types has been in industry supports like CGC. Not sure how that's like them 90's when most of the problem came from card collectors came in but didn't know what they were doing and when they bailed that left many stores stuck for months trying to bring their order numbers down. I don't see the stock numbers like the 90's so people are chasing issues not buying in early and they are going for keys. Where I live it's mostly 20-40 year old collectors with apps like Key Collector driving the price trends. Key Collector is the new Wizard.
+1 link