Question about dishonesty in the market Messages in this topic - RSS

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

10/11/2021

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Obviously, we look at prices all day, every day. We see some sales that appear to be dishonest on eBay. (I'm being nice)

There might be 20 finished auctions for a book and 1 is 30-50% higher than the others in the same condition. We've seen this happen on the same day before. We've seen raw books go for $100 or $200 more than a graded issue in the same condition. Does this kind of information interest you? I'm not sure how we could display or get this information to you but we are thinking about how to be transparent. Somehow tell you that we evaluated the data and statistically this sale doesn't make sense.

If a price guide used all automated data, some unscrupulous sellers could manipulate the market upward. Shill bidding on each other's books until they get the profit margin they want. Then every week report that it's a new high price because it's so hot. That news in turn, drives the price higher.

Think about this, stocks of great companies with huge profit margins rise and fall so why are comics continuing to skyrocket month after month with no decline?
edited by ronbatman on 10/11/2021
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

10/11/2021

Defiant1
Defiant1
Some sellers may have customers who are loyal and willing to pay more because they know the transaction will have fewer problems. It interests me but I take nothing at face value when it comes to pricing.

Volatility isn't the right word, but it might be worthwhile to give comics a numerical rating based on how consistent the prices are in the market. Something akin to a reliability rating.
0 link

10/12/2021

You could use a median sell price taking out the highest and lowest sales and depending on how much trouble it would be the total number of sells.
0 link
comfan
comfan

10/12/2021

comfan
comfan
You could use a median sell price taking out the highest and lowest sales and depending on how much trouble it would be the total number of sells.

That me timed out.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

10/12/2021

kds_comics
kds_comics
Defiant1 wrote:
Some sellers may have customers who are loyal and willing to pay more because they know the transaction will have fewer problems. It interests me but I take nothing at face value when it comes to pricing.

Volatility isn't the right word, but it might be worthwhile to give comics a numerical rating based on how consistent the prices are in the market. Something akin to a reliability rating.

There are statistics that I assume CPG uses. More than one standard deviation beyond the mean is usually a number that should be discarded.
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

10/12/2021

BasementComics
BasementComics
I thought CPG discarded the highest and lowest.
0 link