The Adventures of Shoney's Big Boy 34 Messages in this topic - RSS

Tonyatl
Tonyatl

10/3/2021

Tonyatl
Tonyatl
I cannot locate a version of the captioned comic. My best research shows it published December 1979 though I have seen 1978. Does anyone know where to locate it? I think that I have searched all of the usual places, but just can't pin it down. No site even has a cover scan. thanks.
0 link
lokyel
lokyel

10/3/2021

lokyel
lokyel
Adventures Of Shoney's Big Boy #34 Values and Pricing | Paragon Products Comics | The Comic Price Guide (comicspriceguide.com)

remove the from your search
0 link
Tonyatl
Tonyatl

10/3/2021

Tonyatl
Tonyatl
lokyel wrote:
Adventures Of Shoney's Big Boy #34 Values and Pricing | Paragon Products Comics | The Comic Price Guide (comicspriceguide.com)

remove the from your search

thank you, but i had found that listing, but since it does not have the cover or a copy for sale, it does not meet my needs.
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

10/3/2021

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
also couldn't find a pic anywhere, yet could of almost all the rest. comics.org says this: "A separate Big Boy series was sponsored by at least three Big Boy franchises: Azar's, JB's, and Shoney's. The cover is co-branded in such a way so it reads like "Adventures of Azar's Big Boy", "Adventures of JB's Big Boy," and "Adventures of Shoney's Big Boy"--indicating at least three possible variations of every issue."

So I looked under Azar's and JB's here and both of those have no pics of #34 either. #36 on JB's has the same cover as #36 of Shoney's, so likely the same value, if that helps, although e*** sold prices are generally higher even for Fines for the 1970's-80 issues. I didn't bother with google searches for the Azar and JB versions, but you might find a pic of #34 using those names. Leave out the Shoney's part. But odd that no one seems to have #34 pics. Wondering if it wasn't actually produced but they kept the numbering going. JB's has a pic of #35, but no Shoney's, or on GCD or MCS. Seeing as how they were made in the late 1970's and the '60s version seem to have pics, you'd think all the '70s ones would too, as by then some people must've been collecting them. Oh well, good luck!
edited by collectibleshop on 10/3/2021
0 link
Tonyatl
Tonyatl

10/3/2021

Tonyatl
Tonyatl
collectibleshop wrote:
also couldn't find a pic anywhere, yet could of almost all the rest. comics.org says this: "A separate Big Boy series was sponsored by at least three Big Boy franchises: Azar's, JB's, and Shoney's. The cover is co-branded in such a way so it reads like "Adventures of Azar's Big Boy", "Adventures of JB's Big Boy," and "Adventures of Shoney's Big Boy"--indicating at least three possible variations of every issue."

So I looked under Azar's and JB's here and both of those have no pics of #34 either. #36 on JB's has the same cover as #36 of Shoney's, so likely the same value, if that helps, although e*** sold prices are generally higher even for Fines for the 1970's-80 issues. I didn't bother with google searches for the Azar and JB versions, but you might find a pic of #34 using those names. Leave out the Shoney's part. But odd that no one seems to have #34 pics. Wondering if it wasn't actually produced but they kept the numbering going. JB's has a pic of #35, but no Shoney's, or on GCD or MCS. Seeing as how they were made in the late 1970's and the '60s version seem to have pics, you'd think all the '70s ones would too, as by then some people must've been collecting them. Oh well, good luck!
edited by collectibleshop on 10/3/2021

thank you - i appreciate the effort. yes i agree that there are 3 branded versions and hope that i can find the shoney's version. and i agree that a comic so recent as 1970s should be readily available or at least have a picture. maybe it is one of those rarities although your suggestion about a skipped edition can't be discarded either.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

10/7/2021

Defiant1
Defiant1
Comics from this series would have been thrown away at a higher rate since they were free and didn't have a large number of people collecting them.

Due to the low demand for them by collectors, the value tends to be low.

For this reason, not a lot of people are scanning them.

In my searches for comic scans online, I see a lot of very low quality scans being shared by all the major sites because no one takes the time or effort to scan a better copy.

I own #47 and my copy is scanned.

0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

10/7/2021

Defiant1
Defiant1
mycomicshop.com has a watermarked image of #34.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=233641

edited by Defiant1 on 10/7/2021
0 link
Tonyatl
Tonyatl

10/8/2021

Tonyatl
Tonyatl
Defiant1 wrote:
mycomicshop.com has a watermarked image of #34.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=233641

edited by Defiant1 on 10/7/2021

thank you for the excellent scans. i agree about the desirability and high discard rate of this comic book. maybe the rarity will entice more collectors down the road. however, i am still crossing my fingers to find the Shoney november-december 1979 issue 34. it has a christmas theme as i understand.
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

10/8/2021

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
Defiant1 wrote:
mycomicshop.com has a watermarked image of #34. https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=233641

not the right book. there's a few series named really close that have some Shoney's Big Boy stories, but the one the OP is looking for says "Adventures of Shoney's Big Boy " on it.

thank you for the excellent scans. i agree about the desirability and high discard rate of this comic book. maybe the rarity will entice more collectors down the road. however, i am still crossing my fingers to find the Shoney november-december 1979 issue 34. it has a christmas theme as i understand.

all I can suggest is to bookmark a google search result for it, both in the 'all' category and in the 'images' category (putting "Adventures of Shoney's Big Boy 34" in quotes will get exact matches and cut down the useless results) , and keep checking them, along with doing the same search on e***, seeing as how there's a surprising number of those things there. gotta be some out there.
edited by collectibleshop on 10/8/2021
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

10/9/2021

Defiant1
Defiant1
There is evidence of cover (branding) variants being produced for different regions.

Here is an image of #36 branded as JB's.
https://www.comics.org/issue/207917/cover/4/

There is a 1956 series from Marvel with and without the Shoney's name.

Big Boy is featured on both with the artwork evidently modified for the region in which it was released.

"East" Version

https://www.comics.org/issue/206953/cover/4/

"West" version
https://www.comics.org/issue/206954/cover/4/

The only other comic I I own from the publisher is this....
0 link