Questions about Bagging and Boarding Messages in this topic - RSS

Rey22
Rey22

9/12/2021

Rey22
Rey22
Hi, guys. I wanted to ask a few questions about bagging and boarding trades/comics. My sister got me a bunch of comic bags and boards years ago, but most of my comics are trade paperbacks, so...never used them much. But lately I've been thinking about better storage. I live in Miami, so...humidity. I think some of my books took some permanent damage from Irma when the power went out. Most seem fine. Some seem to have gone back to normal. I run a dehumidifier in the room. But extra steps can't hurt, and I really don't know much of anything about the ins and outs of bags and boards,

Now the bags I have are BCW's "Current" size. Those are too snug for most of my trades. For an example, a good deal of my trades are somewhere around 6.6 inches by 0.32 inches by 10.22 inches. I found this size: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H7QWPS/?coliid=I2A3K2GS3EC9T5&colid=N2XCSWRITXSX&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it though now I wonder if that's still too snug.

With that in mind, here are my questions:

1. Is the above bag the right size for a trade of those dimensions?

2. Would it be alright to fit a smaller board (say, the Current size board) in that bag? If it fits, that is.

3. Is it a bad thing to put a comic in a bag that's way too large? I found a single issue comic among my stuff that's a lot smaller. Not sure if it fits in a Current size bag, but if it does, there would be a lot of room left over. I also have trades with smaller dimensions than the comics they collected.

4. Do these bags need to be taped shut, or will just being in the bag with the flap folded over do well enough against humidity? I keep single issues in BCW folders, and I was thinking of putting my trades in BCW's plastic bins. I know they have issues with strength, but they're acid free, and being able to move stacks of comics as one unit is a pro all by itself.

5. What can I do, if anything, about trades of very large/thick dimensions. For example, the volumes of The New Teen Titans or that collection of Justice League: New Frontier. Those are much larger books. The ink and paper is less glossy, so they don't absorb water as readily, or so I am told, but is there anything I can or should do for them against humidity? Or would I simply place them in a bin as is? And what about trade hardback books?
0 link
comic droid
comic droid

9/12/2021

comic droid
comic droid
4. Its a good idea to tape the bags shut. Use acid free tape if you can.
But remember to change the bags and boards to fresh ones every few years as they
don't last forever.
(Also remember to ensure the board is placed sealed-side against the comic. The sealed side is the smooth,
shiny side of the board)

5. The largest bags I know of are magazine size.
They may be big enough for some of your trade paperbacks.
+1 link
glorkar
glorkar

9/12/2021

glorkar
glorkar
I've run into a few regular issues that are oversized (example, all of the Batman Urban Legends issues) that don't fit in modern/current size bags. I always seem to have some old ones lying around from ebay purchases that are a little larger that they seem to fit in. I've been debating buying some golden age bags and boards to see if they fit in those.
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

9/12/2021

BasementComics
BasementComics
I buy BCW Current THICK bags as they seem to accommodate most current books, annuals and giant size. For TPB and smaller hard covers, I'll use either silver or golden age depending on the thickness.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

9/13/2021

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
For my better books I have been using Fullbacks (Standard/Current) with Mylar (Mylites+ or Mylites 2).
I won't have to change them out now as they'll outlast me. It's more expensive but for the books that deserve/need preserving it's no brainer.
As with my TPB/Hardcovers Etc. I just wrap them up in regular Magazine bags and or Mylar Magazine bags. Problem with TPB Etc etc is they are all odd sizes and no-one bags fits any one type.
I think us collectors just make do with what we have in that respect, Unless there is a co. that make bags to fit them.
edited by Gilgandra on 9/13/2021
edited by Gilgandra on 9/13/2021
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

9/21/2021

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
For standard trade paperbacks that have four to 8 issues I suggest bags that are 7 1/2" wide. The extra space will not be an issue. This will cover most trades. The smaller format but larger than standard-sized digests, trades use the same size bag and just fold the excess over and tape it down. Gold Age sized bags will be needed for standard Hard cover collected editions that range up to 8 issues and thicker soft cover trades. DC Black Label trades will need a magazine bag. Depending on the format you may need treasury, Life, Art Print, and newspaper sized bags. Any excess fold and tape down.
edited by oxbladder on 9/21/2021
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

10/7/2021

glorkar
glorkar
BasementComics wrote:
I buy BCW Current THICK bags as they seem to accommodate most current books, annuals and giant size. For TPB and smaller hard covers, I'll use either silver or golden age depending on the thickness.

Just wanted to let you know I picked up a pack of the thick bags from Amazon. (Linky to the ones I got) (The desc. says 500 count up top but it really is just 100).
I had my ASM 74 waiting patiently for these to show up. I was a little doubtful when I pulled the first one out of the sleeve. It just didn't look like what I was picturing for some reason (I was expecting square edges or something crazy like that).
Slid a board in, then the book.
It's almost like it was made for that sort of thing, lol. Truly, it fit perfectly. So glad you told me this was a thing.
+2 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

10/7/2021

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
Anything in my collection worth over $20 goes in Mylar. I've been collecting over 45 years, I'm tired of re-bagging. smile
+1 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

10/7/2021

BasementComics
BasementComics
rixmaxx wrote:
Anything in my collection worth over $20 goes in Mylar. I've been collecting over 45 years, I'm tired of re-bagging. smile

I've started doing that with $30+ books.
+2 link
claydwilli
claydwilli

10/8/2021

claydwilli
claydwilli
BasementComics wrote:
rixmaxx wrote:

I've started doing that with $30+ books.

Same here. I've still got some to swap out but that's my general plan.
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

10/31/2021

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
I only use Mylites for all my comics. Will never have to change the bags and boards in my collection.
+1 link
colorpit
colorpit

6/22/2022

colorpit
colorpit
Mylites2 and "full backs" are the ONLY way to go unless you are dealing with mass quantity of low value books. I'm still transitioning my books over but all of the golden/silver age is done. Working on moderns. Makes them look 100 times better too!!
+1 link