Have the movies really made thousands of new colle Messages in this topic - RSS

Morbid616
Morbid616

8/31/2021

Morbid616
Morbid616
...collectors? Or are more people coming out to comic stors and cons for the nostalgia of their youth?

I started 6 years ago, and it seems to me to have been growing more and more.
0 link
lokyel
lokyel

9/1/2021

lokyel
lokyel
its a little of both
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

9/21/2021

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
I doubt the movies have added all that much. Helped add some maybe.
+1 link
mec3437
mec3437

5/3/2022

mec3437
mec3437
Possibly for certain issues like key first appearances, storylines that the movies may adapt, etc. From my anecdotal evidence of going to the shops in the area, not really. The owners don't notice an uptick in customers because of the films or shows. I can't speak to any cons since I rarely go to any.
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

5/4/2022

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
The movies have created more speculators than collectors
+2 link
glorkar
glorkar

5/4/2022

glorkar
glorkar
I feel like they may have some impact at least. With so many comic book based television shows and movies these days, it's become less of a stigma to be geeky. It's more accepted as normal, not weird. So it's possible more people are talking about the hobby and getting interested in it.
I think a lot of the people that are newer to the hobby start with books about their favorite characters from film. They want to get to know more about them, more of their story. Whether that turns into a passion for collecting I'm not sure.
+1 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/4/2022

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Good thoughts Glorkar. I agree with Glorkar that the geeky stigma is totally gone. Rixmaxx, I think you are correct as well, there are a lot of speculators.

From our perspective, we have seen ongoing growth in members each of the last 4 years. 25% each year and this year is on par with previous years. We've also seen that our demographics are trending younger. Not a massive change but definitely moving younger. That indicates changes in the market. The movies and television shows seem like the likely candidates.
R
0 link

5/7/2022

I've been collecting for over 40 years and I can tell you unequivocally the movies have had a lot to do with the rise in collectors/speculators entering the market.
10-15 yrs ago, talking about your comic book collecting would raise a lot of eyebrows and even snickers. Today it is mainstream. When I see people of all ages wearing Iron Man, Spider-Man, etc tee-shirts, etc - it tells me it's not anywhere as much a stigma as it was in years past. Thank the movies and tv shows for the exposure to our hobby.

I can also tell you that values have risen dramatically in the last several years. Reasons vary but most of us would agree the main trigger had a lot to do with the pandemic and Cares Act enacted by Congress and as a result infused many with free time and expendable cash. Collectibles are a pretty safe investment as we all know.
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

5/7/2022

BasementComics
BasementComics
I remember when the first Batman movie came out and all the Joker appearances went up drastically.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

6/18/2022

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Speculation is always part of the market. More collectors, and make no mistake it’s mostly collectors, are taking part in the in speculation. They’ll deny it but anyone who denies that the money to be earned isn’t nice I would call them a liar. I never understood why it is so bad to say that potential profit is a bad thing or admitting that they speculate. Anyway, speculation is a part of the hobby. Get used to it because we all do it.
+1 link
colorpit
colorpit

6/22/2022

colorpit
colorpit
I think it's safe to say YES, the movies/tv shows have brought a lot of new people into the hobby. Savage She-Hulk number 1 was a $5 nobody cares book for decades....now it's all the rave with the announcement of the TV show. Venom movies drove up lots of Venom issues, Deadpool caused that 1st app to skyrocket. Before that, 1st app Cable was the New Mutants book to own....now....who's Cable??? It's all about Deadpool. Comic book superheroes are 100% mainstream now. I can't even count how many dads I see with little kids walking around with a Captain America T-shirt on. Everybody knows who the Guardians of Galaxy are now....who knew them before the movie? Only comic peeps. While I don't love most of the movies, i am happy to see the characters live on. I'm sad to see other nostalgic characters fizzling out where even my kids can't name them. Characters like Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck (and the rest of the Looney Tunes), Pink Panther, Popeye, Huckleberry Hound, The Flintstones, and on and on it goes. Too politically incorrect for modern day "woke" television. Even my beloved Dukes of Hazzard has been shunned into oblivion. I would love to see Warner Brothers do something impactful with so many of these characters, but Disney is a tough force to compete with.
0 link