Comics Going Up...Where is it coming from???? Messages in this topic - RSS

taskmaster
taskmaster

6/28/2021

taskmaster
taskmaster
Can anyone explain with NO movie and NO TV are "Common" books going crazy.....

Good Posting
-2 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

6/29/2021

Defiant1
Defiant1
Not sure, but people invest in collectibles when they don't have confidence in the stock market.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

6/29/2021

taskmaster
taskmaster
Defiant1 wrote:
Not sure, but people invest in collectibles when they don't have confidence in the stock market.

Because people see it on E-bay so that's "THE" price....WOW!

Bong
-2 link
Biddle7819
Biddle7819

6/29/2021

Biddle7819
Biddle7819
It's not an 'investment' for a lot of people, its just about owning a particular comic, that they want/need
-1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

7/1/2021

Defiant1
Defiant1
Taskmaster wrote:
Defiant1 wrote:

Bong

That is the danger of using eBay as a price guide.

I was smiling the other day.

Someone who hoards a certain scarce comic was showing off how many copies he had online.

He had a dozen or so (just guessing), and he felt the comic was worth maybe $100 each.

He was complaining that a seller had the book listed for $675 on eBay and wouldn't sell his copy for the price he felt it was worth.

The seller was getting annoyed with the constant lowball offers from the guy who just wanted to add to his hoard.

I happen to know the guy who has the book listed for $675. He said he owns more copies than the guy who was showing off his hoard.

The really funny thing is that the seller who has the book listed for $675 gave me a copy for free and paid for the shipping on top of that.

He won't take the other guys offer for $100 or more, but he gave me a copy.

I knew the guy who owns the only known surviving copy of My Secret #2, a magazine published by Atlas/Seaboard. I offered to buy it. He said it wasn't for sale.
I told him what it was worth to me, he just smiled and said it wasn't for sale yet. I'm not going to whine or beg. I just let him know what I'd pay.

The question then becomes....What is a one-of-a-kind desirable item worth in the market.

It's worth what the seller wants for it. At any given time, the buyer is not only in competition with other consumers to offer the best price to the seller.

He's also in competition with the seller to offer more than what the book is worth to the seller.

It's not a situation where the seller is desperate and necessarily needs money. He's probably a fan of comics too and the book is worth to him whatever he priced it.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

7/4/2021

taskmaster
taskmaster
Defiant1 wrote:
Taskmaster wrote:
Defiant1 wrote:

Bong

Someone who hoards a certain scarce comic was showing off how many copies he had online.

He had a dozen or so (just guessing), and he felt the comic was worth maybe $100 each.

He was complaining that a seller had the book listed for $675 on eBay and wouldn't sell his copy for the price he felt it was worth.

The seller was getting annoyed with the constant lowball offers from the guy who just wanted to add to his hoard.

I happen to know the guy who has the book listed for $675. He said he owns more copies than the guy who was showing off his hoard.

The really funny thing is that the seller who has the book listed for $675 gave me a copy for free and paid for the shipping on top of that.

I knew the guy who owns the only known surviving copy of My Secret #2, a magazine published by Atlas/Seaboard. I offered to buy it. He said it wasn't for sale.
I told him what it was worth to me, he just smiled and said it wasn't for sale yet. I'm not going to whine or beg. I just let him know what I'd pay.

The question then becomes....What is a one-of-a-kind desirable item worth in the market.

It's worth what the seller wants for it. At any given time, the buyer is not only in competition with other consumers to offer the best price to the seller.

He's also in competition with the seller to offer more than what the book is worth to the seller.

It's not a situation where the seller is desperate and necessarily needs money. He's probably a fan of comics too and the book is worth to him whatever he priced it.

But you get a lot of STUPID people who will throw alot of money at something that most people WOULDN'T and are smart enough to wade things out. I had this happen to me one time on E-Bay about 17 years ago I had a MOMC Ephant Mon figure that I listed the same day etc. with another seller that had a loose one that was showing signs of wear and missing parts...That auction went for $50 and my (MOMC) one went for $10 plus shipping. With only two items on E-bay at the time and you mean to tell me that a loose played with and missing parts figure went for more than my MOMC one? As a seller I had the better rep and longevity and the other was a new seller....How did that happen??
-2 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

7/4/2021

taskmaster
taskmaster
Defiant1 wrote:
Taskmaster wrote:
Defiant1 wrote:

Bong

But you get a lot of STUPID people who will throw alot of money at something that most people WOULDN'T and are smart enough to wade things out. I had this happen to me one time on E-Bay about 17 years ago I had a MOMC Ephant Mon figure that I listed the same day etc. with another seller that had a loose one that was showing signs of wear and missing parts...That auction went for $50 and my (MOMC) one went for $10 plus shipping. With only two items on E-bay at the time and you mean to tell me that a loose played with and missing parts figure went for more than my MOMC one? As a seller I had the better rep and longevity and the other was a new seller....How did that happen??
-2 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

7/4/2021

Defiant1
Defiant1
The danger of basing everything on eBay is that you don't know who is actively looking for something at any given moment. The people willing to pay more may not be searching at the time something is being posted.

Sometimes the listing don't adequately describe what is being sold. I bought 3 pages of EC original art because the auction wasn't clear as to whether you were buying one page or three pages. I figured out it was three and got a deal on them.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

7/15/2021

taskmaster
taskmaster
Is there something I'm missing??

Or is it some "big" secret that people do not want to share?

All of a sudden a mad rush for book X Number X (Example) for NO reason then it jumps to a crazy amount with NO reason....

Why won't people post hot books that are getting hot instead of AFTER the fact when they are going for big $$$$ then maybe people can get them that want them for a decent price....🙄
-4 link
Draven68
Draven68

7/15/2021

Draven68
Draven68
Dear Taskmaster,

I've come to see that you're again requesting the same information of WHY, WHEN, WHERE. The fact is, you're in the same boat as everyone else and no one is trying to keep any secrets. For example, aren't you posting in the forums under "Market Watch"? Isn't it obvious that we post things here when we see an increase in prices for a particular comic? We often times post when we see a big change. Do we know every time why? Of course not, but we share it here for everyone to take note and for those that take the time to read the comment and want to take advantage of it. Please do the research like everyone else. Do a search on the internet for "comic book speculation" (Speculation - invest in stocks, property, or other ventures in the hope of gain but with the risk of loss.) There are a PLETHORA of websites available, there's youtube channels, podcasts, knowledge of certain comic book movies or shows coming out, certain facebook pages... etc. available to anyone that takes the time to look for themselves. There you may be able to gleam the insight and answers you're so desperately searching.
+3 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

7/15/2021

taskmaster
taskmaster
Draven68 wrote:
Dear Taskmaster,

I've come to see that you're again requesting the same information of WHY, WHEN, WHERE. The fact is, you're in the same boat as everyone else and no one is trying to keep any secrets. For example, aren't you posting in the forums under "Market Watch"? Isn't it obvious that we post things here when we see an increase in prices for a particular comic? We often times post when we see a big change. Do we know every time why? Of course not, but we share it here for everyone to take note and for those that take the time to read the comment and want to take advantage of it. Please do the research like everyone else. Do a search on the internet for "comic book speculation" (Speculation - invest in stocks, property, or other ventures in the hope of gain but with the risk of loss.) There are a PLETHORA of websites available, there's youtube channels, podcasts, knowledge of certain comic book movies or shows coming out, certain facebook pages... etc. available to anyone that takes the time to look for themselves. There you may be able to gleam the insight and answers you're so desperately searching.

Well in the past those book in question were on a "watch" list remember those?

Now by the time you know of said book it's already skyrocketed....See the difference?

Speculation is fueling this hobby more and more most times than not it falls thru.....
-2 link
Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector

7/15/2021

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
As Draven said:

Draven68 wrote:
There are a PLETHORA of websites available, there's youtube channels, podcasts, knowledge of certain comic book movies or shows coming out, certain facebook pages... etc. available to anyone that takes the time to look for themselves. There you may be able to gleam the insight and answers you're so desperately searching.

Sure there are a lot of speculators in the comic market right now. So if you too are trying to speculate you have to do the research as well. If something hits the key collector app or and other large site used for speculation you can bet that the books are going to start going up immediately online. With research and a bit of effort you can try and grab these books in LCS, Flea Markets, Antique Stores or even online if you're fast enough but there are a ton and I mean a ton of comics collectors these days so yes you have to do your own research and you have to be quick if you are trying to buy everything online. Or if you have been a collector for years hopefully you already have the book in your collection and you can sell it if that's what your into. With the amount of posts you make like this it seems as if you want to be a speculator collector and you're just not having any luck finding the books that are hot. Plus it seems as if about 80% of what is hot now will be cold a year later short of older books that should have been hot for years anyways.

I get frustrated sometimes too when a book that I was already keeping an eye out for all of a sudden gets hot. Here lately when that happens I just wait it out and hope that it drops off the speculator's hot list and then go back to trying to find a nice copy for my collection. I speculate as well, I do it not to sell a book for more than I paid for it but I will get them in hope they go up in value and someone who needs it for their collection will have something I really want in my collection. I've never sold a book my entire life but I have been speculating on books for awhile.
+1 link

7/16/2021

At any given moment, there are going to be thousands of comics I would like to own, but I'm too cheap or not rich enough to afford them.

It's easy to look at Action #1 and think how cool it would be to own one. In truth, I'm not really that big of a fan of Superman, so I'm fine not owning one.

I think everything comes down to why you want the comic. Do you want it because you like the character? If you like the character, why did you wait until it was already hot?

Do you want it because you think the price will increase? Why did you wait until everyone else felt the same way?

Do you want it because other people told you it was good to own? I hope not. Why would anyone need another collector to tell them what to collect?

It's harder to predict what new releases will spike in price. I used to read Previews 3 months in advance. I hung out at the comic book store the day new comics were released. The store owners and managers were my friends. I knew which books were interesting or great quality the day they were released. I did pretty good at predicting which comics were a good investment. In the end though, new comics are a huge high risk gamble today. There are far more duds than there are good investments. If your goal is to buy all the newly release hot books before anyone else discovers them, the odds are not in your favor. I can assure you that people who did score a popular comic also wasted money on a lot duds. It balances out. You might have gotten some cool comics, but the odds are you paid for it in other ways.

When the Guardians of the Galaxy movie came out and Rocket Raccoon's appearance spiked in price, there were decades that you could've bought the book cheaply. Ask yourself why you want it now? Is it because you like the character, or is it because you want bragging rights? If it's for the bragging rights after everyone else decided they want it too, you're like a flag flapping in the wind. The market is deciding which way your interests swing and you will forever be at it's mercy.

In the 90's, I had a friend who would buy any copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey #8 (1st Machine Man) that he saw. He had at least 20 copies and only paid about $1 each. He liked the character. If Marvel ever makes a movie featuring Machine Man, he'll be sitting nice. Regardless, he was proactive. He believes in the character and he was willing to wait for others to agree. If you want to be ahead of the curve, you have to believe in something and you have to be knowledgeable enough about the hobby to know what others will believe in.

If you are waiting on someone else to tell you what's worth owning, you are going to lose out more than you will succeed.
+2 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

7/20/2021

taskmaster
taskmaster
At any given moment, there are going to be thousands of comics I would like to own, but I'm too cheap or not rich enough to afford them.

It's easy to look at Action #1 and think how cool it would be to own one. In truth, I'm not really that big of a fan of Superman, so I'm fine not owning one.

I think everything comes down to why you want the comic. Do you want it because you like the character? If you like the character, why did you wait until it was already hot?

Do you want it because you think the price will increase? Why did you wait until everyone else felt the same way?

Do you want it because other people told you it was good to own? I hope not. Why would anyone need another collector to tell them what to collect?

It's harder to predict what new releases will spike in price. I used to read Previews 3 months in advance. I hung out at the comic book store the day new comics were released. The store owners and managers were my friends. I knew which books were interesting or great quality the day they were released. I did pretty good at predicting which comics were a good investment. In the end though, new comics are a huge high risk gamble today. There are far more duds than there are good investments. If your goal is to buy all the newly release hot books before anyone else discovers them, the odds are not in your favor. I can assure you that people who did score a popular comic also wasted money on a lot duds. It balances out. You might have gotten some cool comics, but the odds are you paid for it in other ways.

When the Guardians of the Galaxy movie came out and Rocket Raccoon's appearance spiked in price, there were decades that you could've bought the book cheaply. Ask yourself why you want it now? Is it because you like the character, or is it because you want bragging rights? If it's for the bragging rights after everyone else decided they want it too, you're like a flag flapping in the wind. The market is deciding which way your interests swing and you will forever be at it's mercy.

In the 90's, I had a friend who would buy any copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey #8 (1st Machine Man) that he saw. He had at least 20 copies and only paid about $1 each. He liked the character. If Marvel ever makes a movie featuring Machine Man, he'll be sitting nice. Regardless, he was proactive. He believes in the character and he was willing to wait for others to agree. If you want to be ahead of the curve, you have to believe in something and you have to be knowledgeable enough about the hobby to know what others will believe in.

If you are waiting on someone else to tell you what's worth owning, you are going to lose out more than you will succeed.

Point missed but not what I was asking (Re-read my post)
-4 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

8/22/2021

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Taskmaster wrote:

Good Posting

Because it doesn't take a movie or a TV show for all books to increase in price the vast majority of books that go up in price because other books around it that may be tied to movie or TV get dragged along with it. There isn't any particular reason other than when the market is hot most books usually will benefit from it. There are loads of apps and forums and whatnot that "help" buyers but really most are just reporting after the fact or, like the key collector app, trying to direct the market. The thing is you don't need any of that stuff because if you buy what YOU want to read and your tastes are fairly diverse you will inevitably purchase books that will go up. 95+% of books are going to be slow appreciators but eventually they will go up.

There are times, like now, where you hit a sellers market and almost everything goes up significantly but those are pretty rare and definitely not the time that you should be buying for the investment.The vast majority of those people who wait for the apps, forums or social media are going to be spending more money. They still may profit but not if you just buy what you like when it comes out. 99% of what apps like key collectors lists in any given week aren't what I would even call key because not enough time has passed to REALLY determine that. But that doesn't seem to matter much because many of the books end out going up a bit many just for maybe a month before they level off. Key Collector is definitely the new Wizard Top Ten (for those old enough to remember that mag and it's list). It's all rather amusing. You can make money at it but it's not going to last because eventually people figure out that everything goes up in price, the vast majority slowly. That is never going to change.

I consider all of my books an investment but I really don't worry about value unless I am looking to unload some books. When you think like this though you realize that you can make money on everything if you are patient and understand that no matter what the market is doing it is going to take time to get a return on your investment. This market is in a self fulfilling prophecy mode right now so it's a good time to sell. It will end at some point and for a large part is slowing down and becoming a buyer's market again.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

8/29/2021

taskmaster
taskmaster
Oxbladder wrote:
Taskmaster wrote:

Good Posting

Because it doesn't take a movie or a TV show for all books to increase in price the vast majority of books that go up in price because other books around it that may be tied to movie or TV get dragged along with it. There isn't any particular reason other than when the market is hot most books usually will benefit from it. There are loads of apps and forums and whatnot that "help" buyers but really most are just reporting after the fact or, like the key collector app, trying to direct the market. The thing is you don't need any of that stuff because if you buy what YOU want to read and your tastes are fairly diverse you will inevitably purchase books that will go up. 95+% of books are going to be slow appreciators but eventually they will go up.

There are times, like now, where you hit a sellers market and almost everything goes up significantly but those are pretty rare and definitely not the time that you should be buying for the investment.The vast majority of those people who wait for the apps, forums or social media are going to be spending more money. They still may profit but not if you just buy what you like when it comes out. 99% of what apps like key collectors lists in any given week aren't what I would even call key because not enough time has passed to REALLY determine that. But that doesn't seem to matter much because many of the books end out going up a bit many just for maybe a month before they level off. Key Collector is definitely the new Wizard Top Ten (for those old enough to remember that mag and it's list). It's all rather amusing. You can make money at it but it's not going to last because eventually people figure out that everything goes up in price, the vast majority slowly. That is never going to change.

I consider all of my books an investment but I really don't worry about value unless I am looking to unload some books. When you think like this though you realize that you can make money on everything if you are patient and understand that no matter what the market is doing it is going to take time to get a return on your investment. This market is in a self fulfilling prophecy mode right now so it's a good time to sell. It will end at some point and for a large part is slowing down and becoming a buyer's market again.

I get all that but it seems to be trend for people to OVERPAY ALOT when it comes to comics...And I'm tired of that old line "Well if someone wants it bad enough" MOST collector's I know are smart enough to wade things out and find the right price for anything....

And they are also smart enough to not overpay for a $20 book by paying $50 or more your NEVER going to get it back unless you screw someone over OR find a dummy....I've had ALOT of people that bought books WAY high then were stuck with it

Example: Marvel Team with Taskmaster some guy on Offer up I Offer etc. was trying to sell his books for $40 and it's only worth $15 when I asked him about it he said that's what he paid and he's trying to recoup his money...Chances are your going to LOOSE on that deal and the smartest thing to do when buying OR investing is buy LOW sell high....Common sense that always works for me..😁👍
-1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

9/21/2021

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Heritage, eBay, and many other online sites have loads of people that are more than willing to pay more, and there are loads of people that will pay more even if they know they can get a copy cheaper. My LCS has often had people seriously mull over buying a book but then balk at buying it because it was a bit too much only to find out later that they paid double for the same book because it was on sale for X% off. I kid you not. Almost every graded book is sold far over market value. How many books sell for over cover? Heck every book you buy has been marked up to guarantee a profit. People here order tons of stuff that is in stock around town and is often cheaper than online and no shipping costs. there are guys that sell at small shows here and consider they made a profit if they make above their table costs. Tell me if you spent 2 hours a day for five days getting g ready transported your goods there early to set up sat there for 7+ hours and made $400 over your tables spent $100 on other stuff or food,, then transported everything back home and spent a few hours packing everything back into place. Have you really made any money at all? How much is your time worth? Not everything is going to drop all that much nowadays so if people are overpaying clearly demand or desperation is the norm not the exception.
+1 link