Naming the Comic Book Ages Messages in this topic - RSS

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/19/2021

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
As the largest Comic Book Price Guide, we are taking the responsibility to name the comic ages. The last age to have an accepted name is the Modern age beginning in 1/1992 with the formation of Image Comics. That signaled a departure from the past with artists owning their properties. After 29 years it's time to divide the ages into more manageable time frames.

Dates we think are important to signal the end of this age
1998 Blade Movie (Some view this as the first Marvel movie)
1999 IDW is founded (first book published in 2002)
2000 Dark Horse Presents ends 14-year run
2000 Marvel's Ultimate Spiderman begins
2003 Image's Walking Dead and Invincible begin
2005 Batman Begins Movie (starts trilogy)
2007 Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited launched
2008 Iron Man Movie (1st Marvel Studios Movie, Kevin Feige produced)
2011 DC's New 52 Begins

So what should the age that begins in January 1992 and ends in _____ be named?
  • Image Age
  • Artist Age
  • Chromium Age
  • New Age
  • Variant Age
  • Steel Age

These are the suggestions we have. If you don't like these please, post a suggestion. There is no compensation if we use a name you suggest other than the praise of countless fans who want the Modern age to be less than 29 years! Tell all your collector friends so that we can get a broad range of opinions.
Thanks,
Ron
edited by ronbatman on 5/19/2021
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

5/19/2021

glorkar
glorkar
I kind of like the idea of sticking with metals. Problem is, what to choose? Chromium does have a nice ring to it. And there were a lot of foil covers in the 90's so it's kind of fitting.
In 2007 Marvel launched it's Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited. Might be a good year to end the age we're working on naming now.
And if we're thinking ahead, we could name the age after that the Silicone Age or something else tech related.
0 link
Xvipah73
Xvipah73

5/19/2021

Xvipah73
Xvipah73
Steel Age. To go with all the steel/faux steel covers and names.
+1 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

5/19/2021

rustyauger
rustyauger
I like Chromium Age as well
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

5/19/2021

kds_comics
kds_comics
Ronbatman wrote:
As the largest Comic Book Price Guide, we are taking the responsibility to name the comic ages. The last age to have an accepted name is the Modern age beginning in 1/1992 with the formation of Image Comics. That signaled a departure from the past with artists owning their properties. After 29 years it's time to divide the ages into more manageable time frames.

Dates we think are important to signal the end of this age
1998 Blade Movie (Some view this as the first Marvel movie)
1999 IDW is founded (first book published in 2002)
2000 Dark Horse Presents ends 14-year run
2000 Marvel's Ultimate Spiderman begins
2003 Image's Walking Dead and Invincible begin
2005 Batman Begins Movie (starts trilogy)
2007 Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited launched
2008 Iron Man Movie (1st Marvel Studios Movie, Kevin Feige produced)
2011 DC's New 52 Begins

So what should the age that begins in January 1992 and ends in _____ be named?
  • Image Age
  • Artist Age
  • Chromium Age
  • New Age
  • Variant Age
  • Steel Age

These are the suggestions we have. If you don't like these please, post a suggestion. There is no compensation if we use a name you suggest other than the praise of countless fans who want the Modern age to be less than 29 years! Tell all your collector friends so that we can get a broad range of opinions.
Thanks,
Ron
edited by ronbatman on 5/19/2021

I think if more importance is the Valiant Age with the advent of Valiant comics in 1991. Remember Image spun off in 1992 AFTER Valiant. From 1991 - 2009 or 2011 maybe we should call it the Atomic Age after Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom. Also for all of the "atomic" or anatomy concentric art. Perhaps the Modern Age should start with the DC New 52 in 2011.
edited by kds_comics on 5/19/2021
edited by kds_comics on 5/19/2021
0 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

5/19/2021

aarondawe
aarondawe
I think Defiant1 suggested the 'garb' age once.

Aaron
0 link
Dylman
Dylman

5/19/2021

Dylman
Dylman
Variant Age
0 link
rgtichy
rgtichy

5/19/2021

rgtichy
rgtichy
The "Celluloid" age begins with movie adaptations galore?

The Spider-Man trilogy, followed by Iron Man is in my mind, the moment when comics crossed over "forever" into a new age where recycling and refining the storylines for the movie medium took precedence.

Going "52" and "Dark" everything was how DC brought itself into alignment with making movies from their characters, for real...
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

5/19/2021

glorkar
glorkar
Going by decade would make things so much easier imo. Or by print size, meaning the width of the book. All I need to know is what bags and boards I need to grab. Heck, let's just call them the Small Medium and Large Ages wink
0 link

5/19/2021

Okay, so after further thinking (and paying closer attention to what is being asked for) I think any of Ron's first 3 suggestions work: Image, Artist and Chromium ages are all descriptive of what happened around 1992. That continues until "When" though? It's whether we have ended that age that is questionable. I think there's something "true" about things changing once again when the movies really started coming out; I'd begin at the first Spider-Man by Sam Raimi. That's May 2002. That would make the Image Artist Chromium Cover Age rather short. Maybe too short, since in my opinion we cannot seem to get rid of them (Image Artists and gimmick covers).

Maybe just leave the name the "Modern Age" but call the current age the "Movie Age" and let the Movie Age come after the Modern Age?

Because that's what you are really trying to do, right? Split the Modern Age into some kind of pieces and name one or both of them? I suggest finding an End for the Modern Age and naming the next Age.

Bronze is mostly 1970's
Copper is 1980 or 1981 to 1992, whether you think it was Spawn or the Jim Lee X-Men #1, something broke and cover gimmickry ruled the day from that point forward.
0 link
rgtichy
rgtichy

5/19/2021

rgtichy
rgtichy
Not surprisingly, I was logged out while I wrote a relatively short post!
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/20/2021

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I would strongly disagree that the ages have outlived their usefulness. When you search for something on eBay, it's easier to find if you define the age. There are some titles that stretch from Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper and Modern.

Think about finding Venom #1. Do a search for it. 23,000 things come up! Even if you remove, "lethal, annual, web and funeral" you still get 15,000 results. If that was sorted by ages
The Chromium Age - 1992-2000
2000-2010
2010-2020
That would substantially help you find exactly what you're looking for.

If someone wants to use the ages for marketing how does that hurt anything?
Ron
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

5/20/2021

glorkar
glorkar
Even you show using decade splits in your example Ronbatman.
Wouldn't it be just as easy to search eBay by saying you want Venom #1 from the 90's? 00's? 10's? It's actually simpler than trying to remember that 1990-1991 are not in the same comic age as the rest of the 90's. Or that the 80's are both Bronze and Copper Age.
0 link
lokyel
lokyel

5/20/2021

lokyel
lokyel
RON

I AGREE with collectibleshop
decades are the way to go
i just looked up Spider-man #1 and came up with 18 pages of titles the one I was looking for was on page 16 after trying the barcode that didn't work but was in there for that title [so i didn't have to add that one].
if i could narrow it down by decades it would have cut down the time by a lot.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/21/2021

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
glorkar wrote:
Even you show using decade splits in your example Ronbatman.

That was on purpose to show what we are thinking about doing. I think it makes sense to lead up to the year 2000 with the chromium age and then go by decades.

Collectibleshop wrote -
"And since you can't search on CPG by era, and you post the year the title started, then I don't see the need/use for named eras here either. If CPG would ever upgrade its search to add a year field, that would really help speed up searches. I've found plenty of mistake listings with the wrong era noted, and some with the wrong years, but even if you could filter by decades only, that would help narrow the results."

For someone who has used this website for free for years, you are extremely demanding. Then to say that Overstreet is the main authority is ridiculous. Honestly, ridiculous. I would love to find a store that uses Overstreet exclusively, I would make a fortune reselling their books. So insanely outdated!!!!!

We will be moving ahead with the naming (when it's decided) so if you don't like the naming then there's no reason to comment further.

Being extremely honest,
Ron

edited by ronbatman on 5/21/2021
0 link
Xvipah73
Xvipah73

5/21/2021

Xvipah73
Xvipah73
I've changed my mind. Not Steel Age, Foil Age smile
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

5/21/2021

glorkar
glorkar
Ronbatman wrote:
That was on purpose to show what we are thinking about doing. I think it makes sense to lead up to the year 2000 with the chromium age and then go by decades.

Okay, that makes total sense. And I can totally get behind that. The Ages are a part of the history of the hobby. They've earned their place. And if we go by decades starting in 2000, it'll be a hundred years before it gets weird. By then it'll be someone else's problem Big Grin
0 link
Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector

5/22/2021

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
I think the ages are a bit difficult as is with golden, silver, bronze, copper, dark-modern, so the easiest thing would be going by decades. Even when it comes to the modern age if you ask one person they will tell you it started in 85-86 with Watchmen and the Dark Night type of comics coming out not in 92 with Image. But then others call that the Dark ages. The problem with coming up with a new age is there are way too many people online with their own ideas, just google" age of comics" and there are tons of pages and videos already discussing this. In my opinion though when discussing "comic ages" I don't think movies should be involved on setting the new date. I know the movies are based off of comics but we aren't giving a name to movie collections. I mean movies based on comics that were blockbuster hits were around before Blade or Marvel Studios so I don't see how that should name a comic era. If one is going to give it a name based on some kind of important shift in actual comics something like when artist's pretty much went all digital could be a start or when digital comics became readily available as someone mentioned above. This is a hard one to decide and even if you do, I image there will be a million people who disagree and come up with their own categories. The problem with the internet is now everyone has a say and getting them all to agree on something is not likely to happen smile
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

5/22/2021

BasementComics
BasementComics
I'm down with whatever helps me catalog and find books faster.
0 link
Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector

5/22/2021

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
BasementComics wrote:
I'm down with whatever helps me catalog and find books faster.

Me too. smile
0 link