Comic Book Pressing and Cleaning Messages in this topic - RSS

collectibleshop
collectibleshop

4/18/2021

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
Ronbatman wrote:
If it's age yellowing (tanning) then no, there isn't a way. That's a breakdown in the paper. If you would like to send me a picture I can try to evaluate it.
Ron

thought you all might be interested in these posts/trials on the CGC forums for removing the lignin (what makes paper tan and breakdown) from comics paper, from a guy in Canada, who's "been working on ways to remove age yellowing/tanning without fading ink or doing damage to the paper." seems to be having success.

1st thread started in 2019 and ends June 2020, and he just posted another update with more results, and is awaiting 3rd party test verification of the process etc.
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/459600-update-test-results-posted-lignin-removal/#comments
2nd thread, for improvement of brittleness:
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/488111-lignin-removal-and-effects-on-brittleness/

so there's multiple before and after pics, and if all is legit, looks promising, but tests and independent verification is still ongoing.
edited by collectibleshop on 4/18/2021
+1 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

4/19/2021

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Wow, that is crazy. He understands the chemistry involved and paper conservation techniques so it sounds legit. Honestly, I'm impressed. I wonder if CGC can recognize his work under a black light or some other technique.
R
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

4/20/2021

BasementComics
BasementComics
Ron, I have a CGC 4.0 of Detective 225. I want to say it got that grade due to what looks like a crayon or some sort of mark on it (I don't think its marker). Do you think it would be worth trying to clean/press and then re-grade?

Donald
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

4/21/2021

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Donald,
Send me a picture of the front and back and I'll let you know. I've cracked open several books for pressing and regrading so this isn't something new or untried.
R
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

4/21/2021

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
Ronbatman wrote:
Wow, that is crazy. He understands the chemistry involved and paper conservation techniques so it sounds legit. Honestly, I'm impressed. I wonder if CGC can recognize his work under a black light or some other technique.
R

don't think blacklight would show anything, but the question is (and I haven't read the whole CGC threads to see if anyone has posed this) would CGC consider it restoration, or conservation? I'm guessing resto since it's chemically removing/improving something, but also helping conserve it. not sure how you'd detect it without a chemical test, and that would add yet another thing to check and take the chance of damaging the book, so risky and more time consuming. if they could detect it and considered it resto, then the submitter's decision is whether it's worth the expense and time for the procedure to improve the grade by lightening pages/covers, vs getting a purple label, unless they just want it done for themselves to keep of course.

and unknown is the long term effect of the procedure, and will it need it again years down the road. but looks really promising, and he could sell/license the technique to restoration companies and CGC could add that service to their services, and get even more biz and farther behind in turnaround times smile.
0 link
Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector

4/21/2021

Theoldcollector
Theoldcollector
I think he's testing the long-term effects by oven tests or something like that. I'm pretty sure I also read it's considered conservation and does not land in the restoration realm in accordance with CGC that is if everything said in that forum is real.
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

4/21/2021

BasementComics
BasementComics
Ron,

I will send it to you via email.

Thanks
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

4/21/2021

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
Theoldcollector wrote:
I think he's testing the long-term effects by oven tests or something like that. I'm pretty sure I also read it's considered conservation and does not land in the restoration realm in accordance with CGC that is if everything said in that forum is real.

Just read some more of the CGC thread, so here's what the guy said: "(other poster):So you expect books using this process would grade as conserved?

Yes, unless CGC sees it differently of course. Currently aqueous and solvent washing is permitted, de-acidification requires water wash (not always) and that is where the buffers and fixative are added. The de-lignin process is definitely less invasive than a solvent wash. I certainly hope it would be considered conservation as it is the primary goal."

and: "Side note: in my discussions with CGC I have in the interest of clarity suggested any books I submit with work performed include the work order with the submission outlining all processes and products used."

Maybe someone from CGC will reply to that thread to verify if his process would be considered conservation, but not holding my breath.
edited by collectibleshop on 4/21/2021
0 link