Interests in User Profile Messages in this topic - RSS

Davidb52
Davidb52

11/8/2020

Davidb52
Davidb52
A question of curiosity: when I click on a user name and look at their Public Profiles, I see two fields that are rarely used, "Interests" and "Homepage."
Actually, I haven't seen any user with anything in these fields--yet.
I haven't found an option to edit them and there is no mention of them in the FAQs.
Are these fields only accessible to Admins?
Or are they a carry-over from the old forums?
edited by DavidB52 on 11/8/2020
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

11/8/2020

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
I believe they're a carryover and don't work, as there's no way to edit them. I had asked multiple times last year about why the edit page was blank, and was finally told that that feature doesn't work, but they still haven't removed those 2 fields. maybe they can't too, it might be too built-in, and I was told the vendor they bought the forum software from wasn't in business anymore, so they couldn't get them to fix it either.

an admin can come along and tell you for sure.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

11/9/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
This forum is a packed forum and we cannot do much to change it. Forums, in general, are becoming outdated with all the social media options. Vendors aren't offering any support or are out of business.
Ron
0 link
Davidb52
Davidb52

11/9/2020

Davidb52
Davidb52
Ronbatman wrote:

. . .
Forums, in general, are becoming outdated with all the social media options.
. . .
Ron

Hmmnn... True, but unfortunate. I find some forums to be excellent resources for interaction and asking questions. AFAIK, social media still doesn't provide convenient gathering places for special interests. I mean, if these forums were suddenly shut down, I have no idea where to ask questions about comics' prices and interact with other comic collectors. Facebook? Might take a lot of searches. Twitter? Again, it would take a lot of searching and time. And then to go through all the other social media platforms too. (I have never touched Instagram or SnapChat, so have no idea what they offer.)

This forum is useful. I think forums still have an important role to play in connecting like-minded people together. If they ever disappear entirely, I will be really disappointed (Not just talking about this one; talking about forums in general.)
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

11/10/2020

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
Davidb52 wrote:

Hmmnn... True, but unfortunate. I find some forums to be excellent resources for interaction and asking questions. AFAIK, social media still doesn't provide convenient gathering places for special interests. I mean, if these forums were suddenly shut down, I have no idea where to ask questions about comics' prices and interact with other comic collectors......

The CGC forums are quite active, and have lots of knowledgeable (and bigtime) collectors and dealers there, and many discussion forums to choose from. Great resource for grading tips, market prices/happenings (mostly for graded comics, but raw too) and outings of scammers. Has buying/selling forums broken down by comic age, and for auction sellers/dealers general postings, and for comic art, magazines and more. As usual, there's a few curmudgeons, some obnoxious know-it-alls, overly touchy types who take offense at anything etc., but that's every forum, and it's better than it used to be. Moderators are on duty. Newbies tend to get ribbed/hazed a bit sometimes, depends on what they post and how it's perceived, but pretty much the same on any forum.
One of the main things to avoid per their rules is not to discuss/promote the other grading companies, although people do it, but most of those get pulled and warnings sent. No political posts allowed either.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/

Read it for a while (only need to join to post) and get a feel for it and see if it fits your needs.
edited by collectibleshop on 11/10/2020
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

11/10/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Collectible, before you send everyone to another forum, I just saying there are only so many things we can do with this forum. We aren't shutting it down because we see value in it. I'm just stating the obvious that forums are becoming less active.
R
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

11/10/2020

glorkar
glorkar
I don't really have a problem with our forums.
The things that are broken, I've never noticed. To me that means they aren't worth fixing. Others may have differing opinions, and that's fine too.
Would it be nice if the forums were more active? Sure. But I feel that sort of thing goes in waves a bit. I personally tend to rotate through my hobbies. When I'm into one, I'm really, really into it. Then I'll move on to something else. But eventually I'll make my way back to the first one.
I like being able to be part of a community. Each and every one of us users contributes to the site. Whether it be through adding and verifying data, asking and answering questions in the forums, or even just searching for books.
+1 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

11/10/2020

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
Ronbatman wrote:
Collectible, before you send everyone to another forum, I just saying there are only so many things we can do with this forum. We aren't shutting it down because we see value in it. I'm just stating the obvious that forums are becoming less active.
R

I understand about the limitations of the forum here, I'm not trying to cause a panic or send people away. coulda PM'd David, but thought maybe some others that haven't looked for comic forums might like to know about 1 that is still very active, although probably slower than 10 years ago, as most are. I think forums have a place still, for the many (and maybe growing) number of people who don't like or use Unsocial media, me included. To each his own of course.
edited by collectibleshop on 11/10/2020
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

11/10/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
I too have made the break from Social Media so I do appreciate forums such as this one. Ron's blogs are also interesting.
0 link