Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 8 CPV Messages in this topic - RSS

iron_puppy
iron_puppy

11/1/2020

iron_puppy
iron_puppy
The whole series had Canadian Price variants, but this is the key one. It had a cover price of $1.00 and a UPC code.
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

11/1/2020

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
are you one of the members who the system doesn't work for adding variants? can't remember.
0 link
Casper0312
Casper0312

11/1/2020

Casper0312
Casper0312
collectibleshop wrote:
are you one of the members who the system doesn't work for adding variants? can't remember.

Someone is extra spicy today!
0 link
fdaz89
fdaz89

11/1/2020

fdaz89
fdaz89
Good one.
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

11/1/2020

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
Casper0312 wrote:
collectibleshop wrote:

Someone is extra spicy today!

nothing 'spicy' intended, just asking a legit question. there's a couple people here who the system gives an error message to when they try to add variants, yet it works for most others. iron_puppy has been here long enough to know how to add variants, so I wondered if that feature doesn't work for him is all.
0 link
iron_puppy
iron_puppy

11/1/2020

iron_puppy
iron_puppy
I tried adding the picture but it kept saying it wouldn't work due to an "unknown error".
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

11/1/2020

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
iron_puppy wrote:
I tried adding the picture but it kept saying it wouldn't work due to an "unknown error".

figured. they wouldn't accept the pic you attached anyway, it's a graded copy and not cropped. and it's too curved to crop well, so I found another pic, edited it, went to submit it, and found they already have it:
https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/marvel-super-heroes-secret-wars/8/vhqsnv
this page has the rest: https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/marvel-super-heroes-secret-wars/pkrqjv

it's under Alternate Publisher/Country versions when you click on Variants. When you search the full series it has the banner about that, but not on the individual issues, so I didn't see it the first time in the search results, so I didn't click on it to check for more Variants. And we both should've thought to use the Country choice, as they come up when choosing Canada.

so there ya go.
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

11/1/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
Yeah except for the Canadian Price Variants aren't Canadian comics. They are are American comics printed in the USA with Canadian Price Variants.
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

11/1/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
But starting in October of 1982, due to currency fluctuation, these publishers could no longer afford to charge the same 60¢ price on newsstands in population centers like Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal — i.e. places where buyers would be paying in Canadian currency. For this reason, both publishers started to demand 75 cents from those newsstand customers north of the border. But instead of placing both US and Canadian prices on newsstand copies as they eventually did, from 10/1982, out to 8/1986 for Marvel and out to 9/1988 for D.C., these publishers produced two distinct batches of newsstand copies: a higher cover price batch and a lower cover price batch.

Each batch was produced simultaneously with the other copies on the same manufacturing equipment, so all are 1st print copies (each batch involving only a change of the black/key plate), but the number of copies created for each batch was different, with each batch sized to fit the corresponding market: the Direct Edition batch size was informed by comic shop order levels, and each of the two Newsstand batch sizes were informed by the size of the target market and newsstand sales trends. The smaller batch of higher cover price newsstand copies — the copies today known as "Type 1A cover price variants" were therefore sold in vastly smaller numbers, were purchased mostly by readers, and have estimated survivorship of ~2% of copies (CGC census data for most issues shows variant rarity between 1-2% of census copies), as we illustrate below

https://www.cpvpriceguide.com/
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

11/1/2020

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
rustyauger wrote:
Yeah except for the Canadian Price Variants aren't Canadian comics. They are are American comics printed in the USA with Canadian Price Variants.

CPG is noting these are ALTERNATE COUNTRY VERSION comics via the PRICE, not that they're published in Canada, hence the '/' between Alternate Publisher and Country in their banner when it comes up, and saying 'Canadian COPIES' under the series title, as noted previously. While having 'Canada' as a country choice to find them can be confusing as to publishing, it's not a big deal, and this is how they decided to do it. You can message Ronbatman and ask what the rational is if you want the official answer.
0 link
iron_puppy
iron_puppy

11/1/2020

iron_puppy
iron_puppy
All good to know. Thanks.

Also, the Canada/US listing appears to be inconsistent. I searched X-Factor 5 and 6 and the Canadian Variants for both are listed under the regular US search. That's why I didn't think to try it. Shows it's always good to try everything.
edited by iron_puppy on 11/1/2020
0 link