New to grading Messages in this topic - RSS

Kyia
Kyia

10/28/2020

Kyia
Kyia
I'm trying to get my collection of about 500 comics in order and am working on grading the individual copies. Does anyone have an Excel spreadsheet for their collection? And/or a sheet that details the condition for grading purposes? I'm imagining a check-off list for various things to watch for in the condition: tears, stains, etc. Anything would help me at this point since I don't know what I'm doing! smile
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

10/29/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
There's a grading guide here
https://comicspriceguide.com/comic-book-grading

Heritage has an informative write up as well.
https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions
0 link
Dudz
Dudz

6/28/2021

Dudz
Dudz
Can someone tell me how to grade a comic with no staples in the spine?

I recently used the free app and graded 2 of my comics, this particular comic did not have staples in it so graded it the best I could and it ended up being a 9.4.

Do all comics come with staples? Why did this particular one not have staples (I did not check my other comics for similar ones)?
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

6/28/2021

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Most books come with staples unless it's a square-bound issue, which is glued. If a regular book that should have staples is missing them or they were removed it isn't a 9.4. It's an incomplete book and worth very, very little.
+1 link
Dudz
Dudz

6/28/2021

Dudz
Dudz
Ronbatman wrote:
Most books come with staples unless it's a square-bound issue, which is glued. If a regular book that should have staples is missing them or they were removed it isn't a 9.4. It's an incomplete book and worth very, very little.

Ok then the one I graded was square-bound then. I assumed it was glued because you could see it had no staples whatsoever, but what happens in grading because square-bound books have no steps in the 28 point grading process according to the app.
0 link
Xvipah73
Xvipah73

6/28/2021

Xvipah73
Xvipah73
They get graded the same way. Staples are usually inside, so all the pages are stapled together, then the cover is glued on. So you can still check for rust, etc...
0 link
Dudz
Dudz

6/29/2021

Dudz
Dudz
Xvipah73 wrote:
They get graded the same way. Staples are usually inside, so all the pages are stapled together, then the cover is glued on. So you can still check for rust, etc...

Thanks for that.

I had another look at the comic I was referring too and I would not trust myself or a grading company to really open the comic to search for staples unless they use an x-ray machine so I did a test with a pin pointer.

A comic with staples sets the pin pointer off and this comic does not go off so it is bound with no staples at all.
0 link
Xvipah73
Xvipah73

6/29/2021

Xvipah73
Xvipah73
If you send it in to CGC or CBCS, they will open it. They have to to check for damage inside, completeness, etc...

Dudz wrote:

Thanks for that.

I had another look at the comic I was referring too and I would not trust myself or a grading company to really open the comic to search for staples unless they use an x-ray machine so I did a test with a pin pointer.

A comic with staples sets the pin pointer off and this comic does not go off so it is bound with no staples at all.
0 link