New Feature and New Blog Post Messages in this topic - RSS

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

10/14/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
As you know, we have been adding in UPC codes to help with the bar code scanner on the app. You have been helping with that as well, which is awesome. Thus far, we've added tens of thousands of UPC codes. There are so many more to go but it's a start. So anyway, the new feature is related to that. You can now type in a UPC code into the search comic field. If the UPC code is in the database the book or books will appear in the search results. Remember that UPC codes originally repeated so you might get 5 or 10 with the same UPC code.

The second thing is a new blog post about an interesting topic. Are today's speculators the same as the 90's era speculators who damaged the comic book market? Fun topic right?

https://blog.comicspriceguide.com/are-90s-speculators-and-todays-comic-speculators-the-same/

Leave a comment on the blog if you have an opinion.
Ron
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

10/14/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
I am sure Taskmaster will have something to say about speculators smile
+3 link
glorkar
glorkar

10/14/2020

glorkar
glorkar
Nice little read. I'm curious how the reduced print runs during this pandemic will play into speculation. It's crazy to me to see 4th printings of books that are only a couple months old.
+1 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

10/15/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I hope Taskmaster jumps on this thread. I'd like to know how he feels about this post.

Glorkar, interesting thought. I haven't heard people talking about reduced print runs much. The reprints have gone up so much lately. It's weird because prior to this time in history, reprints were seen as less collectible. Things change.
R
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

10/15/2020

glorkar
glorkar
I was really thinking along the lines of Strange Academy, for example.
First print #1s have a range of $14-$160 (depending on variant). On eBay, it's impossible to find a first print cover A for under $30. Second, third and fourth prints top out at $5. So even though you can easily get your hands on a copy of the book, unless it's a first print it isn't ever going to be worth anything.
Makes you wonder if those first prints will keep going up, or if at some point the market will level out or even crash.
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

10/15/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
I wouldn't say that 2nd printings and beyond aren't worth anything. Look at Batman #1 (rebirth). The 4th and 5th printings are much higher than cover price. Scarcity and demand will influence pricing.
0 link