Irrevelant and Outdated Overstreet Messages in this topic - RSS

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

10/12/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Comic Tom just released a video hyping the new Overstreet Price Guide. Honestly, I couldn't get through more than a couple of minutes. It was a blatant sales pitch trying to draw on nostalgia to get you to spend money on it. Saying that someone might carry it around at a convention. Ha, ha!

An Overstreet isn't worth buying! There is no way you can convince me to purchase something that is ridiculously outdated.

1. By the time it goes to print, it is outdated. Look at our recently updated values page with 1000 entries. All 1000 issues have been done in the last month! Are they making changes to their guide every day? Every month? Every quarter? No. Every YEAR they update it.

2. What happens if a book gets hot? Are dealers really going to use the Overstreet outdated guide when pricing them? On the rare occasion when someone says they "always use Overstreet", I always say "I'll take all the new hot books you have!" Then shockingly, they say, I don't use it for those books. That's what I thought.

3. Carrying around a massive book at a convention. What would be a better solution? Carrying around your PHONE with the Comics Price Guide free app or carrying around a $30 or $40 heavy Overstreet? It's not even close. Please don't waste your money on Overstreet.

An Overstreet Price Guide is like buying a horse and buggy for nostalgic reasons in an age of automobiles.

Ron
edited by ronbatman on 10/12/2020
+1 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

10/12/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
Well said Ron.
+1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

10/17/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
The prices were useless in the 90's when I got back into comics.

There were comics you could not buy for less than $75 and the guide listed it for $5 even after it was updated.

The market reports would say it was going for $75, yet the guide listed it as $5.

The market reports are interesting, but not worth the money.

My biggest problem is that it has no ambition to be all inclusive.

They don't list undergrounds or B&W comics.

They are selective on what color comics they want to list.

If it doesn't list comics I own, I have no need to use it.
edited by Defiant1 on 10/17/2020
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

10/17/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
I still buy the Overstreet but I certainly don't use it like I used to. I look at CPG every day. I read the forum posts and I check the value changes. I update my collection. This website is so much more important to me as a resource for the hobby I love.

I still like reading the market reports and the top lists from each age but OPG has mostly just sat on my shelf since I bought it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=511mpUPbqLs
edited by rustyauger on 10/17/2020
+2 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

10/17/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
rustyauger wrote:
I still buy the Overstreet but I certainly don't use it like I used to. I look at CPG every day. I read the forum posts and I check the value changes. I update my collection. This website is so much more important to me as a resource for the hobby I love.

I still like reading the market reports and the top lists from each age but OPG has mostly just sat on my shelf since I bought it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=511mpUPbqLs
edited by rustyauger on 10/17/2020

I really only look at it for Golden age and other key older books.
0 link
WaveWarrior
WaveWarrior

10/19/2020

WaveWarrior
WaveWarrior
Agreed!

Morbid616

1/5/2021

Morbid616
Morbid616
It's only useful at conventions. Usually it is hard to get a cell phone signal in a convention center. So if someone comes up and tries to sell you something, you want to be sure what makes this issue so great, Overstreet helps by giving small pointers like first appearances. Also, if you're in the bathroom and want to stumble across random knowledg.
+2 link