Anyone successful at selling on CPG? Messages in this topic - RSS

mergebow
mergebow

6/9/2020

mergebow
mergebow
Hi All,

I am curious how successful people have been selling their books on CPG? This is a serious non-sarcastic question. I have nearly 10K books that I am in the process of documenting and then plan to start selling off. Mainly 80's and 90's and some 2000's. All are RAW and none have been graded. Most of them I would classify as 8.5 to 9.0 or and few that might be better. I'm considering taking some of my KEYS and getting those graded.

Any thoughts on how well people sell on this site?

- John
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

6/10/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
John,
If you are entering the books with the grade, it's very easy to sell them here. One button. Fill in the price and shipping and you're done.

Your success is based on the number of books listed, price and their desirability. We've had people say that they live off the money they get from CPG sales. One comic shop in Phoenix started here first and then opened a storefront. The amount of money that will go directly into your pocket versus eBay really adds up. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.
Ron
+2 link
Dal1283
Dal1283

6/12/2020

Dal1283
Dal1283
Are there fees for listings/selling? Is it considered a "private sale"? I assume invoicing is done via paypal or money order...not through CGC. Also, what do people typically charge in terms of shipping? I don't really have a sense of how much it costs to send one or two comics with adequate protection.

Ronbatman wrote:
John,
If you are entering the books with the grade, it's very easy to sell them here. One button. Fill in the price and shipping and you're done.

Your success is based on the number of books listed, price and their desirability. We've had people say that they live off the money they get from CPG sales. One comic shop in Phoenix started here first and then opened a storefront. The amount of money that will go directly into your pocket versus eBay really adds up. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.
Ron
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

6/14/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Dal1283,
no listing fees
no selling fees
Yes, it's a sale between you and the buyer. However we have stepped in to help resolve problems before.
Paypal is our recommended way.
$5 is normal shipping for raw books

Ron
+1 link
Crowman
Crowman

6/18/2020

Crowman
Crowman
Any UK sellers here? Have you had much success? If so, within the UK or selling to our brothers across the pond?
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

6/19/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Crowman,
I'm confident there are UK sellers here. We have been talking about adding a location for sellers so that you could search your area. Still working through the details of that.
R
0 link
Biddle7819
Biddle7819

6/19/2020

Biddle7819
Biddle7819
Hi Crowman, I'm in UK and have had success selling here and to the States. I do use Ebay a lot but the great benefit of selling here is that you don't get clobbered with fees!!

Ronbatman, that would definitely be a help to show seller location, even though I list mine as UK Sales I do get a lot of US Buyers backing out once we have discussions around the postage costs.

Cheers

Joe
0 link
Crowman
Crowman

6/22/2020

Crowman
Crowman
Thanks guys. In all my years of selling I have yet to sell a single comic. But with my new job in Manila looking doubtful now, I may soon need to open up a new stream of income!
0 link
Dylman
Dylman

6/22/2020

Dylman
Dylman
I've bought many comics on CPG. Go for it!
0 link
anstettoman
anstettoman

7/3/2020

anstettoman
anstettoman
I have been a long time seller and member of cpg.com for as long as I can remember (well at least after the old wizard world site ended) been pretty successful not that I can quit working to deal with selling comics full time but have sold many hundreds of books on here. good luck
+1 link
1970steve
1970steve

7/21/2020

1970steve
1970steve
I'd like to get some feedback from CPG. I have a collection of 1,323 comics on the system with current value of US$ 11,775 or Cdn $ 15,845 in my local currency (Toronto). I'm looking to sell my collection - ideally in a single lot rather than breaking them up. I have no expectation of selling them near the guide value - especially to a reseller who needs a profit margin - but I'm getting offers around C$ 6,500. I also expect a discount to sell them in a single transaction.

As a general rule of thumb, what is a reasonable expectation of % of guide price when making a sale like this? I know the answer will depend on the titles, grading, market trends, etc. The majority of the value in my collection is created by my Superman Series 1 books in RAW format.

Is an offer coming in at 41% of guide value in the ballpark?
edited by 1970steve on 7/21/2020
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

7/21/2020

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
Yes.........in the ballpark smile
+1 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

7/22/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Steve,
Based on my experience, that is in the ballpark. There is a lot of work involved in selling comics and that person needs to make some money. I would say anything from 40% to 60% is in range. If the collection is high grade, highly desirable, the % goes up. I hope that helps you.
Ron
+1 link