No main/base issue for Spectacular Spider-Man #125 Messages in this topic - RSS

Casper0312
Casper0312

6/7/2020

Casper0312
Casper0312
Hi again, as I was going through my Spider-Mans, I noticed I could neither easily move from Spectacular Spider-Man #124 to #125 NOR from #126 to #125. It seemed like #125 (https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/spectacular-spider-man/125B/yoyrh) was missing from the database. On issue specific search, though, you can pull up issue #125B and #125C. Pretty sure that since there isn’t a base issue #125, it is causing the issue.

Also, the covers are reversed... Direct is on Newsstand and vis a vi.

Thanks so much for looking into it.
David
edited by Casper0312 on 6/7/2020
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

6/8/2020

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
I see the same problem. The B and C designations are wrong according to all the issues around it, should just be 125 and 125B like all the others. And the direct and newsstand covers are correct for me on B & C.
and question for Ronbatman, why are some of the Bs Direct and some Newsstands are B in that part of the run? seem to me Directs ought to be just the issue number, and B's should be newsstands/whitmans/variants prices, for stuff that has both versions. but the consistency is off on several on page 2 of the results at least.
#130 is the Direct Edition, #130B is the Newsstand Edition. then 131 is newsstand, 131B is direct, then 132 is direct, and 132B is newsstand. several more with reversed designations like that in the run.

then there's 99 and 99A with the A being a price variant plus a newsstand, but why is it A and not B? have fun...

edited by collectibleshop on 6/8/2020
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

6/8/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
I've noticed that too on Batman and Detective and wonder if it has to do with when it was added to the database.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

6/8/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
The Spectacular Spider-man issue is fixed now.

We are going through the database to correct inconsistencies related to A and B covers, especially related to Newsstand and Direct. All of this is driven by our free app that reads UPC, so we need both versions.

This is our official stance related to Newsstand and Direct issues and the reason.

If a book is a modern book (1992 on) the Direct version is the A cover or the main cover.
If the book is Bronze or Copper the Newsstand version is the A cover or the main cover.

The reason for this is related to production numbers. When Direct versions first came out in the Bronze age they were scarce, most issues sold were newsstand. This is how people bought their comics back then. Over time the roles started reversing and newsstand issues became more difficult to find. Our goal is to put the most common book as the main cover.

The switch to more direct version copies happened before 1992 but we wanted the break to be clear for everyone to see. We have one person whose only job is to add Direct and Newsstand issues, UPC numbers, and fix A and B inconsistencies. You can see what he just finished with Fantastic Four near the end of the run. https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/fantastic-four/smpy If a newsstand isn't listed he couldn't find an image for it online.

I hope that helps.
R
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

6/8/2020

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
thanks Ron, now we know.
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics