Wolverine 1 (2020) and larger books corner split Messages in this topic - RSS

generalgrog
generalgrog

3/4/2020

generalgrog
generalgrog
Hi, I’m back in the hobby and my wolverine #1 is perfect except for the corners splitting from being too large. I also noticed this on my amazing spider Man (798?)that was Oversized.
A couple of questions:
Is this a common defect in these double sized issues? Does CGC take that into account when they grade? Is it possible to get a 9.8 grade with corner splits if it’s common to the book?

Thnx,
GG
0 link
Imcubillo
Imcubillo

3/4/2020

Imcubillo
Imcubillo
Not sure about the GCG grading but yes in my opinion this is quite common and quite annoying. Marvel is very cheap when it comes to this and packs 80-100 pages on these books and the corners start to split.

They need to copy DC and spend a little money and give these larger books a proper square bound spine.
+1 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

3/4/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
CGC will count that as a defect regardless of how often it happens with Marvel oversized issues.
+1 link
jasandyc
jasandyc

3/20/2020

jasandyc
jasandyc
There are CGC 9.8 copies on eBay right now with the same defect. CGC takes into account all defects that broadly affect an entire print run. Think of the Marvel squarebound annuals and giant-size issues in the Bronze Age. Many are graded in the 9’s with staples worn through the cover.
0 link
generalgrog
generalgrog

4/9/2020

generalgrog
generalgrog
Yeah, I just went through and looked through a few wolverine 1's (2020) CGC 9.8, and they all have the same corner split, so it appears that CGC does indeed make exceptions if a defect is common to a particular book. I'm sure this isn't universal, and they take a book by book approach to this.
edited by generalgrog on 4/9/2020
edited by generalgrog on 4/9/2020
0 link