Mylar Bags Messages in this topic - RSS

Doglet
Doglet

10/7/2019

Doglet
Doglet
Right so, I've on and off casually collected comics for a number of years, but have seriously gotten into collecting this year and have accumulated quite a collection, mostly Golden and Silver Age. I got mylar bags for my comics as I want to protect them from ageing and store them well, my golden ages are in regular poly bags as I like to keep those in toploaders, and to begin with i didn't anticipate on getting very many raw golden ages at all, but later on I received some silver books in what i assume must be golden age size mylars which don't fit in toploaders, so I have just left my golden ages in poly bags (eventually i want to get these graded, but I live in the UK so it's even more hassle than it would be in America). The next size up in toploaders would be magazine size, which i got a few from a seller that delivered their comics in them, and they don't fit in my storage box so they're out of the question.

Now here's the main area of bother, my silver age and few bronze ages I have, I bought silver age size mylars, and also some mylite2 standard size, which are exactly the same as the other silver age mylars i got, but I've since heard that most collectors like to keep their comics in larger bag sizes, such as mylite's golden/silver or just golden age bags in general. I've already got around 100 or so books in mylar, so it would be fairly bothersome to replace all the bags and boards, my main question is does keeping silver age books in standard size/silver age size mylar bags, which can be minorly tight but fit in fine, damage books, or is it more just some collectors personal preference to give books a little more breathing room?

Thanks in advance for your response
0 link
claydwilli
claydwilli

10/7/2019

claydwilli
claydwilli
I don't have any real expertise here, but personally I have not found that it damages books as long as it's just 'tight' and not causing any wrinkles or anything. But I would also weigh the value of the books... if they are really valuable, it may be worth the time invested time to just get them in the right sized bag.
0 link
Doglet
Doglet

10/7/2019

Doglet
Doglet
claydwilli wrote:
I don't have any real expertise here, but personally I have not found that it damages books as long as it's just 'tight' and not causing any wrinkles or anything. But I would also weigh the value of the books... if they are really valuable, it may be worth the time invested time to just get them in the right sized bag.

I'd say they're only tight, no wrinkles, I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow of some examples, there is some variation.

Most of my most valuable books are the golden ages in poly bags and toploaders, maybe I'll get some larger bags depending on the value of some of my most recent acquisitions especially, I got a joblot of early silver age green lanterns and need to grade them
0 link
claydwilli
claydwilli

10/8/2019

claydwilli
claydwilli
I'd say just spend the time to get them in the right sized bags. Proper storage is key, and proper bag size is part of that, while you may not do damage with a tight fitting bag, you might, so why take the risk. The more I think about this the more I want to get some GA sized bags and do a bit of rebagging myself.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

10/8/2019

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
The only Golden Age or Silver Age books that I would worry about being in the wrong bag/mylar are the giant size issue or 80-page giants. I keep silver age books in silver age bags except for issues with more pages. You could make the argument that bags that are too big could create damage by allowing the comic to move too much.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

10/9/2019

kds_comics
kds_comics
Doglet wrote:
Right so, I've on and off casually collected comics for a number of years, but have seriously gotten into collecting this year and have accumulated quite a collection, mostly Golden and Silver Age. I got mylar bags for my comics as I want to protect them from ageing and store them well, my golden ages are in regular poly bags as I like to keep those in toploaders, and to begin with i didn't anticipate on getting very many raw golden ages at all, but later on I received some silver books in what i assume must be golden age size mylars which don't fit in toploaders, so I have just left my golden ages in poly bags (eventually i want to get these graded, but I live in the UK so it's even more hassle than it would be in America). The next size up in toploaders would be magazine size, which i got a few from a seller that delivered their comics in them, and they don't fit in my storage box so they're out of the question.

Now here's the main area of bother, my silver age and few bronze ages I have, I bought silver age size mylars, and also some mylite2 standard size, which are exactly the same as the other silver age mylars i got, but I've since heard that most collectors like to keep their comics in larger bag sizes, such as mylite's golden/silver or just golden age bags in general. I've already got around 100 or so books in mylar, so it would be fairly bothersome to replace all the bags and boards, my main question is does keeping silver age books in standard size/silver age size mylar bags, which can be minorly tight but fit in fine, damage books, or is it more just some collectors personal preference to give books a little more breathing room?

Thanks in advance for your response

It all depends on the "fit" of the comic in the bag. I have stored modern comics in Poly-bags and over time - they contracted and damaged the comics. This is one reason to put a comic in a slightly larger bag.This should not be a problem with Mylar bags.

Some Bronze/Silver/Golden Age comics are Giant Size or Annuals that are thicker than the regular comic. Many Golden Age comics are 52 to 64 pages. Mylar comic bags come in only one thickness! So the solution - if the fit is tight - is to go a wider bag. Really this is just a judgement call as to what you think will work and not damage the comic.

Just my opinion

KDS
+1 link