Newsstand vs Direct Messages in this topic - RSS

BasementComics
BasementComics

3/11/2019

BasementComics
BasementComics
Hi,

I see you just updated some comics with newsstand editions. If I have newsstand issue versions of my books (the older stuff), should I be submitting those to be added?

Is newsstand now considered a variant?

Thanks

Donald
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

3/13/2019

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I'm am going to say a reluctant, "yes". We are considering newsstand issues to be a variant. The amount of work that that simple statement caused is unbelievable.
+2 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

3/13/2019

aarondawe
aarondawe
Ronbatman wrote:
I'm am going to say a reluctant, "yes". We are considering newsstand issues to be a variant. The amount of work that that simple statement caused is unbelievable.

Great. That means CDN and UK and Australian newsstand versions too, right?

Aaron
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

3/13/2019

BasementComics
BasementComics
Ronbatman wrote:

Sorry Ron to bring up such a sore subject. smile

Since lots of older silver age books shipped with barcodes, is there a way to know better understand when direct actually started so that duplicate work isn't sent your (CPG) way?

Thanks

Donald
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

3/14/2019

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
As most members would know i'd like too see the newsstand's get there spotlight as well.
Not many sites actually show all versions of newsstand variants. Be good to see that here!!
+1 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

3/15/2019

kds_comics
kds_comics
BasementComics wrote:
Ronbatman wrote:

Sorry Ron to bring up such a sore subject. smile
Since lots of older silver age books shipped with bar codes, is there a way to know better understand when direct actually started so that duplicate work isn't sent your (CPG) way?
Thanks
Donald

Donald
The Direct Market comics really began in 1979 with the proliferation of comic book specialty stores. There were comic specialty stores before 1979, but they were buying from multiple sources. More information here
https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2015/11/08/comic-book-newsstand-editions-understanding-the-difference/
and here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_market#1980s
Publishers were selling comics with bar codes to news stands (e.g. Books A Million, Barnes and Noble, convenience stores, etc.) while ones without bar codes were send direct to Comic Specialty Stores and direct customers who ordered a subscription.
Somewhere in the process bar code comics were sent to both to newsstands and comic specialty stores. So only subscription comics had no bar code.
I dislike the fact that the collector's seem to think it is a "big deal".
My opinion: except in rare (one in ten thousand) cases, there is no value difference. So why go through the incredible amount of work to add something that is simply a distribution chain difference, not a "real" difference. Just IMHO. Here is a link to today's "Subscription versus Newsstand" You tell me what the difference in value is of these two boxes...
https://rarecomics.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/direct-vs-newsstand-comics.jpg
More interesting information here
https://www.comicsbeat.com/who-killed-the-newsstand-comics-market/
This information is just not that hard to find. I will leave you to research further.

KDS
edited by kds_comics on 3/15/2019
+2 link
Twatwaffle1476
Twatwaffle1476

2/1/2020

Twatwaffle1476
Twatwaffle1476
Newsstands which I collect are starting to garner more attention. Especially if they’re a first of key of some kind. I mainly focus on Post 2000 Newsstands as they’re much harder to find in high grade. So if you think they’re worth the same as directs let me know. Myself and others would be more than happy to take them off your hands.

Direct were sent to comic specially shops and were in most cases immediately bagged and boarded. They were sold to people hat were not only getting them to read but save them. They were much better taken care of as well. Newsstands on the other hand went to grocery stores, drugstores, dept stores, etc where most were crammed into a spinner rack and handled by countless dirty handed people. These were mainly bought by readers and not collectors and were not taken care of. On top of that newsstands were returnable for credit so cutting the numbers further. I love the hunt and the Post 2000’s in high grade are few and far between.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

2/3/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I don't think most people fully understand all the pieces involved in this puzzle. (including me) This is my understanding.

Barcode information
Barcodes started for Marvel in June 1976
Direct editions started for Marvel in 1979
A larger barcode was implemented in 1981
The first check digit was implemented in 1987 - 0 71486 02456 9 01
Marvel went back and forth in the early 1990s with different publisher numbers for themselves - 09281 and 71486
Marvel changed their publisher number and the 5 digits at the end in 1993 - 7 59606 02456 8 40811 (59606 = Marvel, 02456 = Hulk, 8 = check digit, 40811 = issue 408, primary cover, 1st printing)

Direct vs Newsstand
Direct editions were rarer in 1979
In the middle 80s, the values should be the same
Newsstand editions were rarer from 1990 on and treated poorly on the shelves.

Ron
+1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

6/29/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
I'm glad the CPG decided to list newsstand & direct versions as separate comics.

On some Continuity Comics, the difference is more than just a bar code.

The logo is a different color on Armor #1

On Armor #13, the artwork and coloring is different. The newsstand says so at the top.

There are plenty of examples where the difference is more than a bar code.

I actually prefer the newsstand editions with bar codes and appreciate seeing them in high grade.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

6/30/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Those covers are dramatically different. Wow.

Newsstand editions are becoming more popular. I've noticed when selling a Newsstand and Direct issue, the newsstand almost always sells first.
R
+1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

6/30/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
Here's another one.

Cyberrad Vol 1 #5
The newsstand does not have a gimmick. The direct market version did with a glow-in-the-dark cover.

Some people may not remember, but Diamond would sometimes solicit newsstand versions in Previews. Most people ordered the gimmick cover, not the newsstand alternate cover.
I think those newsstand versions solicited in Previews might be a third variant.

Cyberrad Vol. 2 #1
It had the normal direct market version with a holgram..

It had two premium versions. A gold logo and a silver/platinum logo. Both with a hologram.

Then there's this oddball version. No hologram. No bar code. Artwork where the hologram should be.

Someone would need to dig up an old issue of Previews, but I'm betting it's a newsstand version solicited through Previews.

There may be an undiscovered newsstand version of this with a bar code. I don't know when Continuity abandoned newsstand distribution.

+1 link
lokyel
lokyel

10/3/2022

lokyel
lokyel
CGC Now Recognizes Newsstand Editions and Multi-Packs on CGC Label | CGC (cgccomics.com)
this just came down from cgc
+1 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

10/6/2022

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
We have been adding both versions, Newsstand and Direct for 3-1/2 years now. I think this will make a lot of collectors very happy. For some books, there is a definite difference between newsstand and direct issues values. Long over due in my opinion.
R
+2 link
Comiceagle1
Comiceagle1

4/13/2023

Comiceagle1
Comiceagle1
As its already been mentioned Newstand vs Direct but over looked in conversation I think!, As I must add the reasoning for the discrepency of why newstand is gaining in popularity is the fact that they are indeed man-handled so if a pristine issue comes out of that particular newstand it can be an amazing feat altogether! It's not all about just being the fact it's gonna be a varient or bard code. Just the facts of survival can plaster a signal of as stated "I like to see bar coded NEWSTAND issues in the highest of grading possible" to conclude this quick reply. Please forgive any mis-spelling as I am a 100% Disabled Veteran with disabling brian damage that's a service connected injury among other injuries sustained as well. Thank you(s) for your time!
edited by ComicEagle1 on 4/13/2023
+1 link