Approving Data and Increasing Your Ranking Messages in this topic - RSS

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

12/19/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
This is a step by step procedure on how to submit data and increase your ranking on CPG.

Everyone starts off as a “0” rank. upset That doesn’t mean you aren’t valued and important only that we don’t know you yet. To get to a 1 ranking, all you have to do is submit 5 pieces of information. I suggest going through books you have that don’t have a price on the site. When someone approves those 5 things you become a 1. Yay you!

After you become a 1 you can go to this page and help verify things.

https://comicspriceguide.com/verify-data

Important Side Note – For any piece of data to be approved some member or admin has to give it 10 points. Obviously, if you’re a 1 you’re not approving anything by yourself, but you are helping. The more things you approve the higher your ranking. To approve a specific creator for a book a member who is a 1, a 5 and a 4 could approve it because that is 10 points. Or a 1 and a 9 could approve it. You get the idea.

We are a tribe of comic book people making something that is awesome by working together.

Back to the step by step

1. Go to https://comicspriceguide.com/verify-data

2. Click on one of the four tabs, covers, published dates, cover prices or creators.

3. Confirm or deny the data based on your collection or a trustworthy source. Cover prices are the easiest because they are usually printed on the cover scan.

4. If you cannot confirm or deny the information, go to the next item.

5. When a book reaches 10 points confirming it will be removed from this list and put on the site with no asterisk.

Some information like missing issues and variants can only be approved by Admins. However, if you get to be a 9 on the site and want to become an admin, please let us know. By the time you’ve reached a 9 we probably already know your name.

Here is my name,
Ron
+1 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

12/19/2018

BasementComics
BasementComics
Hi Ron, is there a point system for moving up between ranks? I have been doing my best to contribute but seem to be stuck in "4" upset I will make it to 5...eventually. smile

Thank you for the above information.

Donald
0 link
solarno
solarno

12/20/2018

solarno
solarno
BasementComics wrote:
Hi Ron, is there a point system for moving up between ranks? I have been doing my best to contribute but seem to be stuck in "4" upset I will make it to 5...eventually. smile

Thank you for the above information.

Donald

It's based on how much gourmet coffee and chocolates you send them. The CPG admins are like hamsters and they need all the energy they can get to keep their hamster wheels moving.
smile

In fact, before the the site redesign, the community stats at the top of the home page included coffee consumption.
edited by solarno on 12/20/2018
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

12/20/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Donald, I don't know what number you have to reach to become a "5" or any other level, sorry. Your information has to be approved before it adds to your total.

Solarno, there's chocolate and coffee somewhere? (scouring the area, picking up comics, statues and mail looking) It's funny because I'm drinking coffee right now.
The CPG admins do so much great work for the site. They are the real MVP's.
+1 link
kidra
kidra

12/10/2019

kidra
kidra
This thread is getting on a year old so maybe this follow-up will get lost to the void, but I'm wondering if there's any info on the number of points you need to "level up". I've been at level 4 for a while now, and I feel like it's taking more information to get from level 4 to 5 than it did to get from level 0 to 4. I'm still entering info because I enjoy it, but I wondered if there's something I'm missing in order to get to the next level.
+1 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

12/11/2019

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
This is my understanding based on conversations with the person who designed the level system.

There are no set numbers to reach the next level, it's a moving scale. I'm going to toss some numbers out to help with understanding. Let's suppose this is true.

Number of Level 9 members - 100
Number of level 8 members - 200
Number of level 7 members - 300
Number of level 6 members - 400
Number of level 5 members - 500
Number of level 4 members - 1000
Number of Level 3 members - 2000
Number of level 2 members - 10,000
Number of level 1 members - 100,000

If you are a level 4 member you have to approve more things than the last person who is a level 5. Because there are a limited number of level 5 members on the site. It was designed this way to keep people who are currently active near the top. Personally I think it should be based on a number of approved items but I don't get to make that decision.

BasementComics who said he was a Level 4 last year is now a level 6 so he got there!

Remember it only counts when someone approves your entry, not when you submit it.
I hope that helps,
Ron
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

12/11/2019

BasementComics
BasementComics
Thanks Ron....you remembered! Lol
0 link
kidra
kidra

12/11/2019

kidra
kidra
That makes sense then why it's taking as much work to go up this level as it did to go up the other ones. Thanks!
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

12/12/2019

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
I remember years ago seeing all the approved data. A few Members would take forever to go from Level 8 to 9.
I'd approved hundreds if not thousands of data lines over months & months, They would literally stay on level 8.
It's a real privilege to be a Level 9 Cool
0 link
Jayc13
Jayc13

12/31/2019

Jayc13
Jayc13
so, i was up to Level 5 a few weeks ago. I've reviewed a few more new issues and creators. Now I've dropped back down to Level 4.
what is up with the rankings?
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

12/31/2019

BasementComics
BasementComics
The way Ronbatman explained it to me is that there are limited "spots" in the numbering system so the more we contribute is what helps us move up. I was in the same position last year bouncing between 4 and 5 and then between 5 and 6.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

12/31/2019

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
See the explanation about 6 or 7 comments above.
R
0 link
Jayc13
Jayc13

12/31/2019

Jayc13
Jayc13
Jayc13 wrote:
so, i was up to Level 5 a few weeks ago. I've reviewed a few more new issues and creators. Now I've dropped back down to Level 4.
what is up with the rankings?

so it's like a video game? keep reviewing to maintain your high score??? geez....
0 link
Syphonius
Syphonius

1/18/2020

Syphonius
Syphonius
What about the creator queue? I have submitted several creators (been a few weeks since I think) but they seem to still be sitting in the creator queue. Is that a separate verify page or just an admin thing?

I'm just looking to then add the creators to some older books.
0 link
thunderize1
thunderize1

2/20/2020

thunderize1
thunderize1
I got screwed on the house I was trying to buy which I had my own comic book room. so now back to the drawing board. currently looking for another house that will house my comic book room. hard to do with such a specific hobby/ lifestyle. once i have secured 1 I will be on in full force with my 40k book collection. so many to add to the system including 6 long boxes of books not in database. as well as looking to help expand the brand at conventions. I have family in Indy so I would have a place to stay if I would be able to fly over and help out/ invest.
+1 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

7/23/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
Hi, I have been submitting dozens of suggested value changes over the least few months but only a couple have been changed. I provided legitimate sales as evidence but I have still not seen any changes in the guide. Is this an issue of being stuck in a queue or what?

Am I doing something wrong?
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

7/23/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
Rusty, same here. I think they get hundreds or thousands of suggestions so it takes time to get through them all.

I know I've been waiting on some of my submissions for months now...even longer on variant issues.

Donald
+1 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

7/24/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Value suggestions don't count toward increasing your rank. (the original topic)

We receive a ridiculous number of value suggestions each day, week, month. When you look at the recent value change page on the site https://comicspriceguide.com/value-changes/ you can see new additions each day. That means we are working on those suggestions. Each collector is concerned about different books, eras, genres so there is a wide variety of books that get looked at. Xena, Prince, Dracula, Batman vs. Predator, Pep Comics, Mars Attacks, Rick and Morty, Redneck and Sandman were all adjusted yesterday.
Ron
+2 link