Mary Poppins Returns Messages in this topic - RSS

colbalt91
colbalt91

12/18/2018

colbalt91
colbalt91
This 50 year sequel just does not make it. The backbone of the original film were the songs that you could not help but hum to and could not get out of your head. There are no songs in this movie that are like that. The songs are weak and an embarrassment to songwriting. Also, this movie has a dark tone which I find very unusual for a Disney movie and a sequel to the original Mary Poppins. The actors are good in their roles and Emily Blunt makes a suitable replacement for Julie Andrews. In another observation, Disney is still bent on rewriting black history. I have noticed in a few films that I have seen by Disney lately that black people seem to have a more prominent role than history had given them at that time period. Shades of the novel 1984 or was it Brave New World where history is constantly being rewritten.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

12/19/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
It's difficult to remake a movie that was loved for so long, like Mary Poppins.

I haven't seen the movie but it's interesting that you are bringing up black history related to this movie. Mary Poppins was originally written in the 1930s when all kinds of things/words/actions were allowed against minorities. If Disney portrayed the movie like the books, it would be offensive to modern society, myself included. Some rewriting is necessary.

I get the intent of what you're saying and I don't like history being rewritten to support a cause or agenda. History should be mostly facts but it's often more complicated. I've tried to avoid the political discussion with this post. (hopefully I did that)
R
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

12/19/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
You did well writing your thoughts Ron. Often more complicated, yep.

I’d say some movies just don’t need to be re made as Ron points out. This is a conversation I have with my father often. Sequels at times for so so original movies don’t understand, most of the time it is just lazy and with all of the books written there has to be good ones to make into movies.
Saying this I understand it is all about the money.
+1 link
Crowman
Crowman

12/21/2018

Crowman
Crowman
1964 my Mum took me to see my first film at a cinema. I was just turning 5 and the film was Mary Poppins.
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

12/22/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Good thoughts with my mom taking me to Disney movies too. Although Bambi about ruined my childhood!
0 link