What's this Maher fella like? Messages in this topic - RSS

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

11/18/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
Never heard of him but his comments are quite twatish. Is he a twat?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2018/11/17/bill-maher-slammed-disrespecting-late-comic-book-writer-stan-lee/2037932002/
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

11/18/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
To some he is.
+1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

11/20/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Like any on air personality sometimes you are gonna love them sometime you won't. By no means was Stan an angel but everyone loves to make him out as one. I appreciate what he did but I don't think he alone deserves all the praise. I consider Stan, Jack, and Steve definitely equally important in the success of Marvel. They complimented each other which is very evident when you read any of the material that they produced on their own, which never reached the same level as when they were working together.

As for Maher... who cares what he has to say? He isn't a comic fan, big deal. I'm not a fan of what he does either. In the end he isn't providing much more than any of the other on air political opinion barkers. People get all bent up about them but really their opinions are a dime a dozen and don't contribute much to our society.
+2 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

11/21/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
Fair enough dissing someone's work when they're alive or been dead a long time. But to be disrespectful days after they died is not cool. I liked Stan for the man that he was. Very eloquent in the way he spoke and appeared. Not just his work. I believe it was mainly his vision of comic books that got it all going again.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

11/21/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
imatonkatoo wrote:
I believe it was mainly his vision of comic books that got it all going again.

Well, no it didn't as comics came back into vogue in the mid/late 50's. However, Stan, Jack, and Steve all helped change how comics were done and made them even more popular. However, Stan alone is given too much credit. That's not to say he wasn't important or a nice guy but that people have given too much credit to him and not enough to the others that were there at the time. Kirby, Ditko and other all had key roles to play and if they hadn't been there who knows what would have happened. When Stan, Jack or Steve did work on their own it was never as good as when Stan and Jack or Stan and Steve worked together. I really can't think of Stan being THE MAN when it became clear the the artists had valuable input beyond just putting Stan's script to pictures.
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

11/22/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
Suppose it's like The Beatles hey? Lennon and McCartney were nothing without each other. Apart from Imagine by Lennon of course.

Didn't Neal Adams have a big part to play too? I'm sure I watched somewhere thatch he fought to get artists much higher pay. They were dis-regarded back in the day.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

11/22/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Pretty much. Don't get me wrong I appreciate everything Stan did. I just don't idolize him as much as others.

My understanding is Maher is just a hater. He entitled to his opinion but I respectfully disagree with him. More than likely though he was just trying to get attention more than anything. The are all sort of op-ed folks on all sorts of media that will do pretty much anything to get attention. Even go against known facts. Who knows maybe some comic geeks bullied him when he was little. I just ignore him like so much of the other press regarding Stan's death.
+1 link
colbalt91
colbalt91

11/22/2018

colbalt91
colbalt91
Stan had the personality. And yes, he had the talent too. But I would say it was mainly his personality. It was able to come through on the pages of a comic book, a comic book conventions and television interviews. Kirby was more reserved. And as for for Ditko....
edited by colbalt91 on 11/22/2018
0 link