Can You Ever Forgive Me? starring Melissa McCarthy Messages in this topic - RSS

colbalt91
colbalt91

11/2/2018

colbalt91
colbalt91
This movie is a great movie, but it will be neglected as it is mainly a biopic of an unknown con artist, writer, from the 90's who never made it super big. Melissa McCarthy and her husband team up once again, not to make another sorry comedy, but amazingly a very good, serious movie. The only reason I went to this movie knowing that McCarthy and her husband were teaming up again was that this was not a comedy and I was justly rewarded.
McCarthy plays a writer of nonfiction biographies, Lee Israel, who has hit a dry patch in her career and nobody is interested in her anymore. Accidentally she comes upon the idea of forging old letters and memorabilia from dead people that she is able to research ably because of her background as a writer of biographies. Israel is portrayed as a very sorry individual who treats people badly because people treat her badly. She has absolutely no remorse about ripping off the literary community. Even the film's title, "Can you ever forgive me?, ripped off from a Dorothy Parker quotation shows Israel's indifference at what she has done when she uses it in the movie.
0 link