Printing defects and affects on Grading Messages in this topic - RSS

striker6
striker6

8/29/2018

striker6
striker6
I recently purchased ASM #140 from Ebay. Upon receipt and close examination it appears the top staple was missing during printing. There are NO holes in the cover or any interior pages where the staple would normally be. The bottom staple is original and very tight at the centerfold. Does this affect grading? Would it vary by more than a point?

Thanks much,
0 link
expander
expander

8/30/2018

expander
expander
Welcome to the forums!

In my opinion, as long as the page alignment is good and the factory fold is straight and tight I can't see it devaluing the book at all.
One less staple to rust later on. It's still technically a defect since there are supposed to be two of them.

That's just how I would approach it if it was my book.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

8/30/2018

kds_comics
kds_comics
striker6 wrote:
I recently purchased ASM #140 from Ebay. Upon receipt and close examination it appears the top staple was missing during printing. There are NO holes in the cover or any interior pages where the staple would normally be. The bottom staple is original and very tight at the centerfold. Does this affect grading? Would it vary by more than a point?

Thanks much,

My opinion is that it does not affect grading - it came from the publisher in this condition. It is a publisher defect. Maybe half a point less on grading if you are a stickler for this type of thing. I assume this is a "one off" defect (only this one). So not "record-able" as a defect for the publication run.

I do hope the eBay seller noted this anomaly - One reason I dislike eBay - some comic sellers do not take time to examine and fully grade the comics.

Just my opinion - generally I agree with Expander.

KDS
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

8/30/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
I am going to buck the trend here and say, manufactured that way or not, it is a serious defect and would drop the book by at least a point. So if the book was a 10 otherwise it would grade a 9.0. The grading companies have convince a large part of the market to brush off "printing defects" by saying that this or that was common or something along those lines. My view is unless the entire run has a specific defect then one MUST consider all defects no matter if it was manufactured that way or occurred in the supply chain before it got to the shelves.

Why you ask? For the simple reason that if we ignore the manufactured defects and start handing out high grades then what happens if a book shows up that is actually in the same grade or better without that defect? I always like to point to signed or historic writing books like the Marvel Comics #1 Pay Copy. Sure the books are in nice shape, sure they have historical markers, sure one can assign higher value to those markings but please don't tell me that a book without the marking isn't in better condition.
0 link
stevegreer1
stevegreer1

11/1/2018

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I have an issue of Conan the Barbarian #63 where the cover, front and back, only has blue, black, and yellow inks instead of the full color compliment. I have searched high and low to see if this is a known defect or just a single issue that somehow made it through the printing press and quality control without being noticed and have so far found no information on it.
0 link