Hot New Issues Messages in this topic - RSS

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

8/14/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Last night I went to a local comic shop to get a pulse of things. This is what he mentioned.

Fantastic Four #1 sold out of his store by Saturday. All variants. (I've noticed the Stanley Lau Invisible Woman cover is selling above cover on eBay now.)
Venom - Everything Venom is sold out. Technically he had a third printing of #1 but that's it.
Batgirl #25 - He is expecting this to sell out based on preorders and hype on Wednesday.

Back Issues
Everything related to Batwoman is hot right now. 52 #9 and #11

What are all of you hearing and seeing at your local comic shop? Sounds like I might need to add things to my blog post.

http://blog.comicspriceguide.com/2018/07/19/hot-comic-book-for-summer-2018/

Ron
0 link
colbalt91
colbalt91

8/16/2018

colbalt91
colbalt91
Something called Riptide. I don't know a thing about it. But if a shop owned it they do not have it right now. Supposedly came out this week.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

8/17/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I looked here locally for Riptide and didn't see it. On eBay the prices are skyrocketing up. Crazy for a book I've never heard of.
0 link
Man - Bat
Man - Bat

8/20/2018

Man - Bat
Man - Bat
Riptide #1 (of 4) came out this week was published by Red 5 comics. Possibly low print run? They also published The Rift which was just optioned by Hollywood, might be why it's heating up.
0 link
expander
expander

8/21/2018

expander
expander
Not to be confused with the 1995 Image book? or is this a continuation by the same creator I wonder.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

8/30/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Man - Bat wrote:
Riptide #1 (of 4) came out this week was published by Red 5 comics. Possibly low print run? They also published The Rift which was just optioned by Hollywood, might be why it's heating up.

Not to get too nitpicky but what exactly is a low print run? You do realize that print runs over 10000 outside of Marvel and DC are very, very uncommon. So in this day and age where most of the top books struggle to exceed 100000 in sales what exactly is a low print run? Low compared to what? If the basement of the Diamond top 300 are in the low thousands and very few people venture outside Marvel and DC for their reading, what is truly a "low" print run? Books like this are prime for rapid large increases if they catch on to larger market because their runs are notoriously small to start with.
edited by oxbladder on 8/30/2018
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

8/30/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Ox, that's a good point, what is a low print run? Low print run + demand = price increase The price has definitely gone up so there is a demand.

Is the demand manufactured artificially or is the demand because of interesting art or story?
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

9/4/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
The thing is though pretty much everything outside of Marvel and DC is a low print run if you only use those companies print run data. Lots of people like to claim that TWD had a low print run but in actuality the run of 7500 (or whatever) is actually quite high for a non-big two run and for a horror book. When we talk outside Marvel and DC print run are usually small. Runs like you saw/see for Saga #1, Spawn (early issues), and TWD are an exception not a norm. Run usually are under 10000 and when you get to the really small companies like Red 5 you may only be in the hundreds of issues. So you can see that any book outside of the big 2 that gets attention (and it is REALLY hard for that to happen since it is like trying to waterboard someone to pick up something outside the big 2) prices usually go up quick because the print runs never meet demand. It isn't artificial in the slightest but, when talking outside the big 2, the size of the run is pretty much irrelevant because it is going to be small.

You also cannot deny that lots of times demand comes from people that have no interest in the actual book they are attracted by the money that this can bring. Speculators some like to call them. It is just a part of it business and a part that isn't ever going to disappear. This speculation can and does lead to readers which is what you want. I have picked up titles that have heavy speculation all throughout my time in comics and it lead to me broadening outside the big a lot more than many fellow collectors.

So don't take my comments of as a negative just as something to consider when one is shopping around outside the big two. When compared to a Marvel or DC book that small publisher book you are holding likely has a "low" print run wink
0 link
rperryx2000
rperryx2000

9/4/2018

rperryx2000
rperryx2000
Just to add to the print and sales conversation. I looked at the sales data for some DC / Marvel books on my pull list versus some smaller publisher (Image, Valiant) books also on my pull list.

Per Comichron July 2018 Sales data:

Amazing Spider-man #2; 113,944 units sold

Batman #51; 111,549 units sold

Action Comics #1001; 79,327 units sold

Venom #4; 51,914 units sold

Spawn #287; 20,130 units sold

X-O Manowar #17; 8,417 units sold

Bloodshot Salvation #11; 7,593 units sold

The number of units sold for each of these titles is fairly consistent from month to month. Just a quick observation from the sales data shows that titles from smaller publishers like Valiant are not even in the same ball park with respect to sales from the titles put out by DC and Marvel.
edited by rperryx2000 on 9/4/2018
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

9/4/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
I am quite surprised at the Spawn numbers much higher that I expected. Those Valiants have pretty good numbers too. If they are consistent at that then Valiant is doing pretty good. I am actually surprised that there are any books over 100K. However, those might be fluffed up a bit by variants. Batman and Action would likely have two covers a piece (maybe more for the action). So there could be a few people buying two cover every two weeks which makes the numbers look good but doesn't reflect the actual readership on the title, which could be problem if variants ever died (lol like that would ever happen).

Thanks for posting those.
0 link
stevegreer1
stevegreer1

10/15/2018

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I just received a copy of Teen Titans #12c Stjepan Sejic foil variant cover, which is a limited 3,000 copy variant. This is the first appearance of The Batman Who Laughs.

I'm also awaiting a shipment with Teen Titans Special #1 which is the first cameo appearance of TBWL, and

Teen Titans #20a (regular cover) 20b (Kamome Shirahama variant) and 20c (the more in demand Jorge Jimenez variant cover). This is the first appearance of Lobo's daughter Crush.

Also, Catwoman vol. 5 #4 Stanley Artgerm Lau cover. I'm not a huge Catwoman fan, but the cover is absolutely beautiful.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

10/16/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Steve,
Those are some nice pickups. Crush and the Batman Who Laughs 1st appearance. Stanley Lau has been incredible as of late. I've written a few things on his work because it's just so nice.

http://blog.comicspriceguide.com/2018/07/27/stanley-artgerm-lau-checklist-for-dc/
and
http://blog.comicspriceguide.com/2018/07/31/stanley-artgerm-lau-checklist-for-marvel-covers/
0 link
stevegreer1
stevegreer1

10/16/2018

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
True. I have been out of the game for a while until I recently came across a YouTube channel called "Comic Tropes". Watched a few episodes and the spark got reignited. I heard about Crush (Lobo has always been one of my favorites in the DCU) and TBWL and I wanted to look further into them. I went on Midtown Comic's website and that is where I saw the Catwoman Lau issue. That cover blew my mind! It may never go beyond $5 in value, but just having it for that cover alone is worth it to me. The man is an amazing artist.
0 link