What Should I Have Jim Lee Sign? Messages in this topic - RSS

multari_r
multari_r

8/8/2018

multari_r
multari_r
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to meet Jim Lee this weekend at the Boston Comic Con. I have a ticket to get 3 comics signed. I plan on having him sign his first ever X-Men comic UC X-Men 248. The other two are what I am asking about. I have all the covers for X-Men #1, I have WildC.A.T.s #1, but according to CPG my X-Men #4 and #5 are worth way more.

Should I have him sign my #1 issues or X-Men 4 and 5?

Thanks!
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

8/8/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
If you have him sign X-men #1 just understand that it won't help the value much when you go to sell it. (if you sell it) That book was extremely overproduced so it will never increase in value. Having him sign 248 is a good idea. If you have it I would have him sign a Batman book from his run there. Batman 619 He did a run on Superman too. Take a look at Superman #204. There were great X-men and Wolverine covers too. Look at Wolverine #24. His body of work is so large and he's done so many fantastic covers, that it's tough to choose.
+1 link
multari_r
multari_r

8/10/2018

multari_r
multari_r
Thanks, I appreciate the advice!

Ronbatman wrote:
If you have him sign X-men #1 just understand that it won't help the value much when you go to sell it. (if you sell it) That book was extremely overproduced so it will never increase in value. Having him sign 248 is a good idea. If you have it I would have him sign a Batman book from his run there. Batman 619 He did a run on Superman too. Take a look at Superman #204. There were great X-men and Wolverine covers too. Look at Wolverine #24. His body of work is so large and he's done so many fantastic covers, that it's tough to choose.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

8/13/2018

kds_comics
kds_comics
Tough question. You can search CPG for every that has been catalogued that Jim Lee Worked on here

https://comicspriceguide.com/creators/jim-lee

There are other creator "work index" websites as well. I would take a look to match your collection to the list.

Looking through the CPG List - Batman 608 - 612 (Hush story) are not bad choices - especially if you have variants.

Captain America #383 is iconic. So is Jim's cover of Action #1000.

Many variants have good value - if that is what you are interested in. An example is Red Sonja (2005) #12 D,E,F, H
Jim did many under-valued and under-appreciated works - Like Wildstorm, Flash, Punisher, Quasar, Thundercats, Robotech,,, dang near every publisher...

Most are worth very little. So this makes it a difficult call. Unless you like a specific character.

A couple of comics stand out.

The obvious is Uncanny X-Men #248 - first Jim Lee on Uncanny X-Men
Another is Heroes 2001 - (Marvel's 9/11 tribute book). No money here - only emotional value.

KDS
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

8/14/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
KDS, you hit on something in your post that is important. Jim Lee art is so undervalued. Maybe because he has such a long tenure or that he has been prolific. There are so many great covers done by him. Someday, we will miss him and an appreciation for his art will cause an increase in value. (IMO)
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

8/14/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
With my bank account, almost any art by Lee is out of my league. But of course my art collection is very small due to funds. Most I ever paid was a Timm OA of Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn for $725 around 2013.
Did see recently a Batman using a marker by Lee sell over a grand last week.
0 link