Color status and value Messages in this topic - RSS

cfarrow2112
cfarrow2112

5/21/2018

cfarrow2112
cfarrow2112
Hello,
Now that I have been introduced to some of the industry standard auction and exchange websites, I've noticed that it seems as graded comics that are described as "White" always get a higher price than comics that are "white to off white"...even when the numeric rating is exactly the same. Why is that?
While I know that "white" signifies a better color characteristic, I have to assume that a comic that has the same exact rating that does not have a "white" color status must have some characteristic that is better than the "white" comic....such that the 2 characteristics effectively "neutralize" and therefore gather the same overall rating.
Can someone help me and explain this?
Thanks!
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/22/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
It's important to note that "white" refers to "white pages". Let's consider 2 books both are 9.8. One has white pages and one has off-white pages.

The difference between white pages and off-white pages says something about how the book was stored over the years. Both books were handled carefully as indicated by the 9.8 grade but they were stored differently. If you find a white book that has some age to it that indicates that it was put in proper storage, a cool, dry and dark place. Off-white shows that something related to storage wasn't perfect. Maybe it was in stored in an attic for a couple years or a storage unit without AC or heat or stored in bad bags and boards. The color change shows oxidation of the paper, it is slowly degrading and that is the first step. The last step is brittle pages that turn to dust.
+1 link