Attended 3 Rivers comic con today Messages in this topic - RSS

expander
expander

5/20/2018

expander
expander
There was a lot to see and even more to buy! I had fun looking through all of the booths and tables and was surprised at the extreme split between brand spanking new stuff and the gold/silver age market.

I started out by walking the full perimeter and just taking in a lay of the land and seeing what was there to do, to buy, and who there was to talk to. I am always stunned at the volume of self produced content there is but also at how much the quality of the production of some of the books have with online services offering lower prices for printing to even the establishment of inclusion into the library of congress I talked to one creator who's works even have ISBN #'s with copies of less than 1,000 books.

There were vendors of all sorts as to be expected offering everything from custom printing, engraving, artistic commissions and leather works to virtual gaming experiences and sitting in replica cars from comics and movies. (I opted for the Mach 5 experience myself)

And of course lots of comics!

I only spent $135.00. ($10 on admission and another $10 on food) Parking was free!

There was a free trade paperback offered by new dimension comics just for showing up. ( I picked Iron Saint)

CGC was there. I didn't get anything slabbed but, it's nice to know I could do that on the spot if I so wanted.

I spun a prize wheel and got The Walking Dead Tyreese Special for free.

Valiant Comics had a booth where i finally got my hands on Ivar Timewalker TPB #3 For $10.00!

Then I stopped by a booth that had a lot of batman back issues and I grabbed a bundle of Batman adventures #1-13 for $20

I stopped and chatted for a good 45 minutes with the guy who had all the nonsport trading cards and talked about the nonsense of paying $8.00 or more on ebay just to get a .90 cent card to finish off a set that might be worth $30 if you're lucky.

his booth neighbor had some great deals on marvel hard covers at $5 a pop. I picked up; Wolverine: Rot, Castle: Deadly Storm, Death of Wolverine, and Wolverine/Black Cat:claws II.

I then Happened upon my Primary non comic reason for attending I stumbled upon the booth of my newest friend Kelci Crawford!
Who co-wrote and penciled and inked The Case of the Wendigo as well as Johnson and Sir and a few other web comics I have
yet to indulge.Dropped $15 on Kelci for the Digest sized TPB of Johnson and Sir.

facebook.com/kelcicrawfordart

(Sorry for Grammaticals and Missp's I'm trying to get this posted before i get the digital boot!)

Next I picked up a nifty Batman coaster for my comic room sometimes i need coffee to stay up and read. Fiver on that.

next stop: the 50 cent bin another fiver on these: terminator revolution #3,Wilcats/xmen modern age #1, Batman/deathblow#2,Zen Intergalactic ninja v2#2&3,and 3ish-mini defend the earth#1,2,3,detective annual #7 and Spidey 2099 v3 #4a.

Then I got some lego mini figs for the kids because they didn't get to come today upset
I got them batgirl, rocket racoon ,Baby Groot ,Venom and Deadpool. $5

And For my daughter A Hand Made Batman Library bag. $20

and a glance out of the corner of my eye i see avengers/jla #4 sitting on someones pile that they pulled out 40 books and pared it down to 30 pile sitting on top of the stacks Nabbed for $2!!!!! and picked up and old hardcover batman best of from the 30 to the 70's

published1971 by bonanza books Batman: From the 30's to the 70's. 36 pages in FULL COLOR! total of 388 pgs. such a nifty book!
Isbn:0-517-19032X. check it out!

Also saw too many cosplays to name it was awesome to watch deadpool give wolverine cpr as he yelled I just F-ing fixed you!" and then see the life size groot say "I am groot!"

Pics Later? IDK

www.3riverscomicon.com
edited by expander on 5/20/2018
+1 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

5/20/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Nice run down of your adventure. Sounded like a good time, nice buys you got.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

5/21/2018

kds_comics
kds_comics
First let me say thank you for writing down a summary of experiences. Suggest we need more takes like this on CPG forums. Thank you!
Fantastic run down. Since I sell at a few local conventions a year, a few comments from vendor's perspective.

1) I started out by walking the full perimeter and just taking in a lay of
the land and seeing what was there to do, to buy, and who there was to
talk to.
Are you crazy? Just buy my stuff - forget those other guys.

2) (I opted for the Mach 5 experience myself) Go Speed Racer - Go!!! . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43rxThjYWsE

3) I only spent $135.00. ($10 on admission and another $10 on food) Parking was free! Recommend you bring a sandwich/drink and spend another $10 at my booth! Parking was free? Where???

4 ) I spun a prize wheel and got The Walking Dead Tyreese Special for free. Congrats to you!! If I spun the wheel I would probably get NFL Superpro Special Edition https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/nfl-superpro-special-edition/1/rjyrov

5) Next I picked up a nifty Batman coaster for my comic room sometimes i need coffee to stay up and read. Fiver on that. I'd hit that!

6) I got them (my kids) batgirl, rocket racoon ,Baby Groot ,Venom and Deadpool. $5 As a vendor - one of few recent titles that sell quickly are Deadpool comics (I have a couple left at $2 each - shameless plug) Baby Groot is adorable. No issue there.

7) And For my daughter A Hand Made Batman Library bag. $20 No such thing as too much Batman and/or Bat-people!!!

8) avengers/jla #4...nabbed for $2!!!! </u> One of my favorite series. George Perez at his best.

Glad you got to see some friends. Make new friends. We all spend too much time on site (including this one - sorry CPG!)
Encourage you all to get out there and check out your local conventions.

Expander - hope you take this post in the whimsical take it was indented. Nice of you to write down your experiences, Thank you.
edited by kds_comics on 5/21/2018
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/21/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Glad you had a good time, conventions can be a ball. I'm going to Pop Con here in Indy in a couple weeks. Excited that the CPG booth is by Steranko!
0 link
expander
expander

5/24/2018

expander
expander
To all thank you for your kind words I had a blast!

I really enjoyed this con, I have missed it in years past due to scheduling conflicts and or lack of funds.

However, that was just the short version I stopped and talked with so many folks I wish I could have attended both days.

My hopes are to catch it every year.

Locally there is a mini-con at the ywca across the river in Wheeling this weekend I'll be checking out.

+1 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

5/24/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
That is so cool, Mach5 is the bomb! I’d be smiling too if I had a chance to do what you did. They would have to force me to get out of it!
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/24/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Love the Mach 5 pic. So they made it out of a Corvette, nice.
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

5/24/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
I’d still be smiling corvette or not!
0 link
expander
expander

5/24/2018

expander
expander
They also had Towmater (made from a golf cart) and the Mystery Machine (from a 2007 Dodge grand Caravan) as well but I can't wait for next year when they bring an actual X-wing!!!!
+1 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

5/25/2018

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Cool, Glad you had a fun time.
0 link
WaveWarrior
WaveWarrior

5/25/2018

WaveWarrior